1 running light not on

jp11

Recruit
When I connect my trailblazer to my duck boat all the lights come on. when I hook the trailblazer to my crestliner all the lights come on. When I hook my 2014 Durango to my duck boat all the lights come on. When I hook the durango to my crestliner the left tail running light doesn't come on???
The bulb is good, I pulled all fuses none burnt (if it was a fuse neither tail running light would work right??

The plug is good cause it works on trailblazer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

harringtondav

Commander
That's a head scratcher. The running lights are fed from the same trailer connector pin, so vehicle fuses aren't the problem. The only thing I can think of is an intermittent open or bad connection in that bulb's circuit. Either on the feed side or the bulb holders ground. Why with the Dodge? Beats me. Try cleaning the bulb holder's contacts, and the ground wire connection to the trailer, and see if that fixes it. Also trace that bulb's wire as far as you can into the harness. There are likely bullet connectors in the circuit. Those can get fussy over time, and may need cleaning.

If all else fails, splice a wire into the right, working light's feed wire, and splice it over into the mystery bulb's wire. If the left bulb is grounded well, it should fix your problem - hillbilly hack style.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You don't by chance have tail light adapters/ convertors installed?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like you might have a bad ground somewhere, pick up some spray electrical contact cleaner and spray all of the connections including the bulb holders and the connections on the truck.

harringtondav

Commander
The only vehicle-specific source I can think of is the running light pin on the Crestliner may be worn a tad undersize for the Dodge's corresponding socket. Tight fit with the Bazer, maybe a bit loose in the Dodge. This could cause low voltage to the running light circuit, With other connection or ground issues on the left bulb, it may not get enough juice to light.

A carefully placed dab of conductive grease on the Crestliner's connector pins may improve things. But careful means not allowing the grease to bridge between pins.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
With only one running light out you would think the problem would be in the trailer since all the running lights are on the same circuit.

jp11

Recruit
Thanks for the tips guys. I will try them and let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My dad gave me two items of valuable advice.growing up....

First, only date ugly women......that way if they leave you, who cares?

Second almost all electrical gremlins are caused by bad grounds.

I have never been able to follow the first advice very well but the second one has made life easier.

Thanks dad!

icyb

Seaman Apprentice
Simple just go duck hunting with the Durango and fishing with the trailblazer, or was it the other way around.

MotoJock

Recruit
My boat trailer sometimes sits for months in storage at a time. More often than not I have a problem with my lights, when I hitch the trailer to my pick up. I was going to make a light tester so I could determine if the problem is trailer or vehicle related, then I found this one online for a little more than it was going to cost me to build. Here's the web address - https://trailerlighttester.net
Good luck!