28" turnbuckle (or alternative idea)

boatman37

Lieutenant
So my last boat had a turnbuckle that went from the bow eye to the winch post on the trailer. The new boat (2016 Venture trailer) has an eye at the base of the winch post that I was going to buy a turnbuckle and do the same but it needs to be about 28" total length. I haven't found one that length and anything close is outrageously expensive (like several hundred $$$). I don't need it to be stainless or anything fancy if anyone knows where to find them.
Alternatively any other ideas? A rachet strap would work but at only 28" it is hard to work a rachet strap at that short of a distance. I used one to bring the boat home yesterday and had it all wrapped around the frame, etc. Any other ideas or anyone know where to find a 28" turnbuckle? Thought about adding about a 10" or so piece to the eye on the post but trying to keep it to as few potential points of failure as possible but might have to go that route just not sure what to use as an 'extension'. Mainly trying to keep the front of the boat from bouncing or rocking and to keep it in place in the event of a collision, etc.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a 6" turnbuckle and a section of chain would work just as well as a 28" turn buckle

so to answer your question as to what to use as a turnbuckle....anything. a metal bar with two hooks, a chain, a second turnbuckle....

go here....buy a turn buckle https://www.mcmaster.com/turnbuckles

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Look at "Boat Buckle Retractable tie down strap " I find it very convenient.

Or you could use a transom strap.

I used to have a turnbuckle on one trailer, found it a pain to tighten/loosen it, and to keep it from loosening while driving. Had to put a wire through it. Such a pain in the dark, with mosquitoes buzzing.

On my bigger boat, a transom strap works best and easiest, and I can always use it on the transom if the need arises.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
I have transom straps on the transom. Actually just regular small rachet straps. Put one on the bow eye but with only 28" it's hard to crank it tight.

Will try a smaller turnbuckle with a chain.

Thanks!

dwco5051

Commander
If you really want a longer turnbuckle just get a piece of all thread that fits the right hand thread half of the turnbuckle and a rod coupling nut to join the all tread to the hook part.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In most states a transom strap is required by law, so the issue of a bow tie down is a separate issue.

A turnbuckle, chain and chain links is the only way to go. It takes about 3 seconds to employ and doesn't hurt your hands. Easy peasy and safe to boot....

Attachments

• photo301691.jpg
    photo301691.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 0

boatman37

Lieutenant
Looks good. Went to Rural King tonight and they had a large turnbuckle there that went to about 24". One end had a ring and the other a hook so bought a hook with a clevis that I will 'permanently' attach to the eye on the trailer then put the eye end of the turnbuckle on the hook. Should work out good. Think I spent about $30 on both pieces. I'll get a pic after I get it all on.

boatman37

Lieutenant
Here are some pics. I know I don't need that chain now and it was probably worthless anyway but I'll leave it on.
I wish the threads went in a little further but I think it will be good. It's only a few threads short but the boat can go forward another inch or two on the trailer. The day before the big flood the marina was like an assembly line getting boats out and we were planning on putting it back in after the floods went down and we were only towing it to the upper lot 1/4 mile away. Once I get the boat moved up that inch or two then the threads will probably be all the way through.

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3535.jpg

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I had a turnbuckle of that size snap in half when I hit a big bump in a construction zone. I don’t have much faith in them anymore. I now use some heavy chain and shackles as my safety chain.

boatman37

Lieutenant
i wanted something rigid to pull it tight. the front of the boat bounces on the trailer going down the road. the strap is parallel to the ground and not pulling down so nothing holding the front down. don't want a bow strap that will mark up the bow.

had a similar setup with a turnbuckle on my last boat and it worked good. will see what this one does.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
i wanted something rigid to pull it tight. the front of the boat bounces on the trailer going down the road. the strap is parallel to the ground and not pulling down so nothing holding the front down. don't want a bow strap that will mark up the bow.

had a similar setup with a turnbuckle on my last boat and it worked good. will see what this one does.

I bought my 1/2" Bow Eye Tiedown Turnbuckle Kit To Fit.....from an on-line supplier. Works great. Not going anywhere. Takes the load completely off the electric winch while trailering.

Not a fan of using a chain hook as a connection point....

turnbuckle__93501.1501551509.jpg

boatman37

Lieutenant
Here is the one from my old boat. I'm ok with having a chain but need something to make it tight, like the turnbuckle. A loose fitting chain won't keep the boat from bouncing around and much more likely to fail in a collision.