Where to purchase a longer trailer tongue?

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a trailer that has always been a bit short for my 10ft boat and am curious for those who have done it, where did you buy a longer galvanized trailer tongue from?

Edit: The tongue on my trailer is 3"x3"

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I make mine

however you can contact your trailer manufacturer or local trailer parts store

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would go to the local steel yard, around here they are called Pacific Steel and Recycling Good company to deal with.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You didn't say if you are going to do the work yourself or have someone else do it for you. If you are going to do it your self and have a welder setup, most any metal supplier in your area will have that type metal. Then you cut it to the length you want, and cut the old tongue out and weld in the new one. That is how I did mine. Check out my trailer post listed below if you like to see how that is done. JMHO

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I should have clarified a bit. I will be doing the work myself, although I do not have a welder. The current tongue on the trailer can be unbolted so I think I could just buy a longer tongue then drill the necessary holes and be done with it. Thanks gm, I will check it out.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would go to the local steel yard, around here they are called Pacific Steel and Recycling Good company to deal with.

I will see if I have one of those around me and if not, maybe something comparable.

Maclin

Admiral
There is a gross combination weight rating (GCWR), total for everything being towed, packed and driven. The more you have on the back the less you can have in the tow vehicle to keep the max towing capacity. With my truck, to get the max towing of 7800, I can't even be the driver at my weight if I have more than 2 gallons of gas in it.

Do you need to pull it back up the ramp? Is it a normal grade, or more steep?

jkust

Rear Admiral
Had a swing tongue added to my trailer last year....dropped it off at the local welder by my lake and they welded one one for a maybe $250. My trailer is the larger sized frame as well so took a while to get the actual swing tongue mechanism from his parts supplier in that size for some reason. They painted it to match and looks like the trailer was ordered that way.

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had a swing tongue added to my trailer last year....dropped it off at the local welder by my lake and they welded one one for a maybe $250. My trailer is the larger sized frame as well so took a while to get the actual swing tongue mechanism from his parts supplier in that size for some reason. They painted it to match and looks like the trailer was ordered that way.

I considered that route as well but I think I would have more money in a swing hinge and small section of tubing vs an overall longer tongue. The tongue on my trailer is also just bolted in so it would be easy to replace.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would go to your local steel supplier and buy a piece of 3x3x 3/16” steel tubing the length you need. Many steel suppliers will sell 10’ material even though standard lengths are 20’.
it won’t be galvanized so you will have to paint it. Around here, we have a place that can hot dip galvanize steel.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
I just made an extension this weekend for my kid's sailboat trailer using a 4 1/2 foot long piece of 2 1/2 square tube slipped into the existing 3" steel.

A new coupler from Home Depot was $13
The steel was $25
I locked the tube in place with a pair of 1/2 inch pins for $6
Should be some steel place around that you can pick it up from!

Now I can slide it back into the existing tube to shorten it up so it fits in my garage better!

bikerider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would go to your local steel supplier and buy a piece of 3x3x 3/16” steel tubing the length you need. Many steel suppliers will sell 10’ material even though standard lengths are 20’.
it won’t be galvanized so you will have to paint it. Around here, we have a place that can hot dip galvanize steel.

That's a good idea.