Loading a boat on the trailer

kaulbr

Seaman
Newbie here. When loading the boat onto the trailer, it seems like I can get it lined up better if I don't back the trailer in super deep and then use the winch to bring the boat up the last few feet of the trailer. Is that bad though because it's putting a lot of strain on the bow's hook and winch? Is it better to back the trailer in deep enough where you can pretty much just float the boat right to the front of the trailer and not have to pull the entire weight of the boat with the winch?

briangcc

Commander
That's exactly how I've loaded the trailer for each of the boats in my signature. Back in enough to get the boat onto the trailer but use the winch to get it the rest of the way. For my boats, that's been about 3/4 of the bunk under water with the remaining 1/4 sticking out high and dry. Varies a bit by ramp of course. This centers the boat on the trailer with no additional wiggling/adjusting required.

If you back the trailer in deep, more than likely your boat will be off center and you'll struggle getting it corrected.

ahicks

Captain
Some ramps require you do what you gotta do. For those that require the trailer to be in deeper, that's why God invented those side guides to help center/locate the boat properly side to side.

danhenke

Seaman
briangcc Agree with you completely. I’ve seen people leave the boat way back and crank it on, but in my opinion, that’s a bit far. I think it should be easy to crank up, but not super easy.

briangcc

Commander
I usually have to winch about 1'-2' depending on the ramp. From start to finish probably a minute or two. I couldn't imagine the amount of time it would take to winch it the full 19'. That's just nuts...with traditional bunks that is, roller trailer another story altogether.

I watched a guy this past weekend with a 16'-17' tinny with roller bunks completely submerge the trailer. He then fought for several minutes getting the tail of the boat lined up where it should. One guy driving the tow vehicle while the other was pushing/shoving/pulling the transom as needed as the boat was hauled out.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That's pretty much what I do at most ramps where I launch. I won't power load; we have too many yahoos around here that do that, and the ramps aren't designed for it. As a result, several of them have nasty dropoffs at the side or the end of the ramp. Drop a wheel off one of those and you're looking at a fun time trying to get your trailer back....

Whenever possible, I float my boat onto the trailer until it stops (usually about 3-4' from the bowstop) and winch it the last couple of feet until it's snug against the bow stop. Takes no longer than driving the boat up onto the trailer, in most cases. If the courtesy dock isn't close enough to the ramp, I just idle onto the trailer, cut the motor and throw a line to a helper on the trailer who keeps the boat from drifting away and then we attach the winch strap. A few cranks of the winch and off we go.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If your trailer is in too deep, you won't get your stern lined up properly onto the trailer because it will be floating uncontrollably.
Agree with all the responses. I have a bunk trailer and also leave about 1/4 of the forward bunks high and dry. I slowly idle the boat towards the trailer shifting in and out of gear when necessary. When it's lined up I shut the engine, trim up the drive and coast onto the trailer. Then I reach over the bow to clip on the winch strap. I step over the bow onto the trailer, sit on my tailgate and crank her up the last couple of feet.
Oh, mine is an 18' bow rider.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Newbie here. When loading the boat onto the trailer, it seems like I can get it lined up better if I don't back the trailer in super deep and then use the winch to bring the boat up the last few feet of the trailer. Is that bad though because it's putting a lot of strain on the bow's hook and winch? Is it better to back the trailer in deep enough where you can pretty much just float the boat right to the front of the trailer and not have to pull the entire weight of the boat with the winch?
You are doing it exactly the correct way. That’s why they mount winches on boat trailers. If you back in too deep you’ll never get the boat to properly center on the trailer. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since the subject is already started, I will also ask my newbie question, so all the info will be in the same thread for future searches.

I just bought the boat from a guy in a marina, so no trailer yet. I ordered one and will have it in 2 weeks, so, no experience there.

I see if you have a bow rider, it is possible to walk to the front and catch the winch strap or throw a rope around the winch post, but in my case, the boat is a 26' cruiser. If I climb on the bow, I think I will be too high to be able to step on the winch post. What technique should I use?

Someone told me not to power load, but just take the rope(s) from the dock, and pull the boat on the almost completely submerged trailer. All I can see from that technique, is the back of the boat going sideways and me fighting to bring it back.

What would be the best way of loading that kind of boat?
Thanks.

superbenk

Commander
Agree with the above that what you’re doing now is exactly right.

One thing I’ll add though- you can make winching a bit easier if you dunk the bunks completely first to get them wet then pull out to where they should be for loading. Setting down the bunks will make the boat slide on them easier when you’re winching.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Agree with the above that what you’re doing now is exactly right.

One thing I’ll add though- you can make winching a bit easier if you dunk the bunks completely first to get them wet then pull out to where they should be for loading. Setting down the bunks will make the boat slide on them easier when you’re winching.

I do the same thing. Damp/wet bunks slide against the hull better in my case.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since the subject is already started, I will also ask my newbie question, so all the info will be in the same thread for future searches.

I just bought the boat from a guy in a marina, so no trailer yet. I ordered one and will have it in 2 weeks, so, no experience there.

I see if you have a bow rider, it is possible to walk to the front and catch the winch strap or throw a rope around the winch post, but in my case, the boat is a 26' cruiser. If I climb on the bow, I think I will be too high to be able to step on the winch post. What technique should I use?

Someone told me not to power load, but just take the rope(s) from the dock, and pull the boat on the almost completely submerged trailer. All I can see from that technique, is the back of the boat going sideways and me fighting to bring it back.

What would be the best way of loading that kind of boat?
Thanks.

When you get the new trailer, start a new thread. I know loading is loading, but you will probably have trailer set up questions to match the trailer to your boat.

One thing I won't do is get out of the boat by stepping on the winch post. It's gonna hurt when I slip! Add a ladder if the bow is too high.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a learning curve to loading.
In bad weather, high winds, etc, I will dunk the trailer a little more shallow, and drive onto the trailer more firmly. Attach the front strap to secure the boat, then back up the trailer another couple of feet deeper to make the winching easier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you should be able to hang 2X the weight of the boat from the bow hook. so winching it on the trailer really isnt putting that much strain on the boat.

Fed

Commander
I keep the rear trailer roller just out of the water & winch the full length of the trailer.
It's easy with a powerwinch and rollers that roll as they are designed to.
With a bunk trailer and manual winch I think submerging the trailer as far as you can while still getting guidance from the back of the bunks is the way to go.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
stepping off boat onto the top of winch post is an excellent way to get hurt and maybe raise your voice a few levels

ahicks

Captain
Just an idea, pontoon boat trailers often have something built on to the winch stand to make getting on/off a pretty easy (and relatively safe) operation. Look into a custom (built to whatever spec you need) winch stand.