Crazy wheel hub not on youtube

m100psi

Cadet
Hi all,

I went to change wheel bearings today, something I haven't done before but which seems pretty straightforward on youtube. Per spindle measurements, I have a tapered 1-1/16" x 1-3/8" setup. The races I ordered appear to be the same diameter as those I took out.

I cleaned everything up and went to press in the inner race, but it's significantly smaller than the wheel hub, unlike all the videos I saw where it needs to be pressed in all the way from the edge of the hub. There's also a lip, I think between where the race and seal would sit.

Is this a different kind of hub that requires a spacer between the hub and race, or did the hub just get messed up before I realized the bearing needed to be changed? I should mention that I changed the bearing because I saw the hub smoking in the rear view while pulling the trailer, and when I pulled the hub off the spindle, the inner race was sitting loose.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• photo298545.jpg
    photo298545.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo298546.jpg
    photo298546.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo298547.jpg
    photo298547.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah.... Sorry to say, not only is the hub shot, looks like the axle is also. Dang....

m100psi

Cadet
You think the spindle needs to be replaced also? I don't have a photo after removing the bearings, but this is after partial cleaning. What do you look for on the spindle to determine if it should be replaced?

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• photo298594.jpg
    photo298594.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You think the spindle needs to be replaced also? I don't have a photo after removing the bearings, but this is after partial cleaning. What do you look for on the spindle to determine if it should be replaced?

Thanks,
Matt

yup, that outer bearing area is toast. Where the bearing sets looks to be ground down pretty good.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Both races, inner and outer, are still on the spindle in the pic. Did they come off and what does the surface under them look like. The outer race has bluing, a sign of severe overheating and a weakened spindle.

spindle.PNG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That axle needs to be replaced, you can get new spindles, but it won't cost much more to get a new axle with all new parts and go from there, that one is toast.

m100psi

Cadet
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Unfortunate to go from planning to replace the wheel bearings to replacing the axle, but I guess that's how it goes. What are the relevant axle measurements to take so I order the right one?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
every website that sells axles has a how to measure with pics just above where you select the axle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Your axle has bearings and spindles that are typically found on axles with a 3500# capacity so that is characteristic #1. Number 2 is to determine if the axle is cambered or straight. You determine that by standing way back from the rear of the trailer and eyeballing the very center of the axle. If the axle has a slight upward bend in the middle it is "cambered". If the axle is straight, it is "uncambered. #3 is the end to end length. #4 is the spring perch center dimension. This is the dimension between spring centers. Armed with those four dimensions you can order an axle.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Silver top is correct.

Manufacturers start putting brake flanges on axles usually above 3000# weight rating.

m100psi

Cadet
Thanks to everyone who helped with this. Four months and several hundred dollars later, I have a new axle, hubs, bearings, tire, and the springs are more or less properly attached to the frame for the first time, so all that is good.

Matt