Confusing Trailer Registration Issue! Hope you guys can help

Mhorvath1218

Cadet
Hey guys, long time lurker but first post here. I have a bit of a registration issue and was hoping someone had a little insight that could help.

I recently purchased a boat and trailer in PA, but live in NY. I went to register the trailer at the dmv today. I have the PA title and all forms filled and ready, wait over 2 hours at the dmv, and get promptly turned away because the PA title doesnt have a model year on it and NY simply will not accept the title without the year.

I believe what happened was the previous owner lost the original title or lost the original vin sticker/plate on the trailer and had to register the trailer as if it were homemade in order to get a new title. It now has a Pennsylvania plate riveted to the tongue with an assigned vin number (the one on the title I currently have).

Problem is, it seems when PA does this for homemade trailers, they do not assign a “build year” on the title.

The NY dmv wont accept the title at all unless I can prove it is a 1996 and I have no idea how to prove the year. It is not on the trailer anywhere.

They gave me 2 possible options (but the staff seemed fairly clueless and extremely unprofessional about the situation) - first would be to register it in NY as a homemade trailer again. But that would involve getting an official weight without the boat on it and I don’t have a good way to do this as I keep the boat on the trailer in my driveway and dont really have any place I can leave it at a dock for a few hours. Even if I can work that scenario out, they also require receipts/bills of sale for all materials used to “build” the trailer. Considering what a huge pain in the *** the NY dmv is, I have a feeling my bill of sale for the trailer itself wont cut it somehow.

2nd option would be to go through the registration process as if I had no title at all. That involves having the seller fill out and sign a form as well as providing all previous bills of sale from when he purchased the trailer/boat and even before that, and he lives 3 hours away and I have no way to contact him other than mailing the address that is on the title. And theres no way in hell he’d have that I’m sure. It would be extremely lucky if he even had a bos from when he bought it 5 years ago.

On top of all that, I had a temp cardboard plate on the trailer from PA that would be good until late August, but when I got home after using the boat yesterday, I discovered it had flown off on the way home and is gone. So now I have no license plate at all and dont want to get a ticket for it, but I want to use my new boat!

Sorry for the long explanation, but any thoughts/help would be much appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Call the NY DMV main office and talk to someone

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Always go to the main office and explain exactly what you posted to us and seek guidance from someone that actually has authority to make the decisions...

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
I have to agree. I had a hell of a time on out last boat purchase. Took several trips and faces, but finally got it done. Ultimately I had to get a copy of the letter from the manufacturer and sign an affidavit attesting to the information.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I suppose if push came to shove, you could always shoot back to PA, register the trailer there... and just call it good?
Maybe not the best solution, but NY can be a difficult to work with sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member
Even if I can work that scenario out, they also require receipts/bills of sale for all materials used to “build” the trailer.

Ayuh,..... I too, live in NYS, 'n register wagons as homemade all the time,......

The quoted statement is Untrue,..... Period,.....
Even if I was told so, I'd tell 'em that I built it with scrap from My junk pile,..... (which is many times very true)

I go in with a filled out application, 'n an unladen weigh ticket from a county certified scale, 'n walk out with the registration, 'n an assigned vin number that I supposed to stamp into the trailer, which I've never done,.....

In over 40 years livin' in NYS, I've never had an issue with a cop 'bout it,.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ayuh,..... I too, live in NYS, 'n register wagons as homemade all the time,......

The quoted statement is Untrue,..... Period,.....
Even if I was told so, I'd tell 'em that I built it with scrap from My junk pile,..... (which is many times very true)

I go in with a filled out application, 'n an unladen weigh ticket from a county certified scale, 'n walk out with the registration, 'n an assigned vin number that I supposed to stamp into the trailer, which I've never done,.....

In over 40 years livin' in NYS, I've never had an issue with a cop 'bout it,.....

OK, it was 50 years ago this month, but when i registered my first trailer in NY (and it really was homemade), they DID require receipts for tires, steel beams, axle, etc. Luckily I had all the receipts.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
In Texas things are crazy! Boat and motor must have a title; no BOS's. If none you go through the "Lost Title" BS. Can take up to 6 months Trailers are plated by Counties of the State; everyone is different. Two cases: two trailers came from SC. No plates there. Got BOS for both. Gave one to my daughter; they took a pix of the trailer and BOS; got it registered and plated in one hour. Cost $6.50. I took a BOS to my County; which you must do the LT and inspection.process. Plus $65 to plate it.
Solution was ; took a pix of the trailer; faxed pix and BOS to her. I got a plate in the mail from her less than a week. That was 2 years ago.Every Christmas she gets a check in her stocking for $6.50; which has become a joke Under the cover; but it worked.