Targa V18 spare tire mount

LouieLouieOhOh

Recruit
Anyone using the spare tire mount that comes with the Targa V18 trailer (on frame under bow). Does it go under water when loading / unloading? I just bought a spare and thought I might mount it vertical on the starboard side. ;)

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don’t have the trailer you refer to but mounting it vertically would be the way to go as long as it doesn’t interfere with the boat when it’s on the trailer. A tire mounted under the trailer would be a royal pain to get to. Also trying to get the tire back on a spare tire holder under the trailer would be almost impossible.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Whether or not it gets submerged depends on your launch, and how far you back the trailer into the water.
At a steep launch, will stay dry.
At a long gradual launch, may end up wet.

For the most part, if the tire is mounted on the tongue near the winch post, it should not get submerged. But it will get wet if there is any wave action.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
When putting a tire mount on a trailer I try to put it in the vertical position on the starboard side. The key is to make sure it doesn't interfere with the boat, or the turning radius of the trailer and vehicle.