1958 Gator Trailer

Patray1970

Recruit
Looking for the location on 1958 Gator trailer as I have the title but DMV says it's for a boat. Wanting to match the numbers from title to the boat. Also info on if it would be worth restoration as everything works on the trailer just doesnt look pretty unless your into major patina.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

It sounds like the DMV messed up if the title says trailer. On an old Gator, the numbers are probably on a plate or stamped on the frame somewhere. The plate may be gone and numbers may be stamped on the left-rear corner or around where the tongue joins the frame or on the tongue - Covered in rust or patina if you want to call it that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 50 year old rusty trailer. its worth about $200 in perfect shape, and about $20 for scrap

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... I doubt yer 1958 trailer still has a serial number anywhere on it,......

Patray1970

Recruit
No where on the title says trailer that's what they are confused about under make it says GATO and under type it says BOAT but the starting numbers are 214*****

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat paperwork and Trailer Titles are entirely different.

It probably says "Boat" because that is the type of trailer it is. Example, "Flatbed", "Dump", "Motorcycle".

That is just my guess.

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Post a picture of it and maybe we can give you an idea if it is worth fixing.
It is easy to write off an old trailer, but many times they can be fixed.

Also, finding a trailer that fits the boat that the old trailer came with may not be as easy as you think.
There are fairly wide parameters that will work on boat trailers, but the width, length, bunk placement, capacity, axle location, etc. are all factors to consider.