Crossmember replacement

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 99 ezloader trailer for an aquasport and I need 2 crossmember that are bent on approximately 20 degree and about 62 inches long where would be the best place to find them, they are open ended and 2x3 inch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably a metal fab shop.

Why do they need to be replaced? Rusted out? Is the rest of the trailer in good shape?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Didn't find any in the iboats store.

maybe this......

easternmarine dot com/2-x-3-x-61-25-x-105-galvanized-trailer-crossbar

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if its rusted out, the rest of the trailer is going to be too.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also some times crossmembers are bent to clear the hull when they are built for certain boats. A picture of the trailer might help determine if this is the case.

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
Yes it is bent also the rest of cross member are not bad just the bracket for the bunkers

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is this a custom or an adjustable EZLoader?
Try contacting EZLoader or one of the dealers/distributors. They do have parts catalogs

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
Without pictures it is hard to be sure of a good recommendation. I'm guessing that the original cross members are 3" rolled channel, not structural channel.

How did the cross members get bent?

I've seen people replace their original trailer that needed a rebuild with a better looking "donor" trailer that will need a rebuild in a few years and think that they did great. I don't have the heart to tell them their original trailer was much better suited for the boat. Some boat trailers have the axle mounted on top of the leaf springs. That helps keep the trailer low for good handling and easier loading. Unfortunately, with the cross members bent downward, to fit the hull shape, there isn't much ground clearance. I've seen a lot of cross members bent that way.

If the original cross members are made out of rolled "C" channel, and that material is not available, they can be replaced with 3" structural channel. It is hard to give advice with no pictures and minimal info.

bigge31566

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased the cross member from ezloader and had shipped, I installed fit perfectly, just bit the bullet, 150 for shipping and bar, sorry for the delay

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just call or email EZ loader they sell those for their trailers going back until at least 1980, I have been in contact with them many times, they are easy to work with and get stuff out to you really quickly. Having them fabricated is going to cost way more than what they will charge you for new ones.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Without pictures it is hard to be sure of a good recommendation. I'm guessing that the original cross members are 3" rolled channel, not structural channel.

How did the cross members get bent?

I've seen people replace their original trailer that needed a rebuild with a better looking "donor" trailer that will need a rebuild in a few years and think that they did great. I don't have the heart to tell them their original trailer was much better suited for the boat. Some boat trailers have the axle mounted on top of the leaf springs. That helps keep the trailer low for good handling and easier loading. Unfortunately, with the cross members bent downward, to fit the hull shape, there isn't much ground clearance. I've seen a lot of cross members bent that way.

If the original cross members are made out of rolled "C" channel, and that material is not available, they can be replaced with 3" structural channel. It is hard to give advice with no pictures and minimal info.

Many of the EZ loader trailers come with bent 3" tubing, it is pretty common with their roller trailers and now on their bunk trailers.

Last edited: