Tire sidewall repair

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think the repair can be improved if you use some ---" ladies lingere or underwear " ---To stitch it together.-----Some of that stuff just won't come off !

harringtondav

Commander
I learned to purchase the cheap road hazard insurance on tires when my kids started pushing their tires off the rims. Covered. Tread punctures: Covered. Sidewall injuries: Replace, at a prorated price. Take that for what it is. But don't risk anyone's well being.

matt167

Captain
I work in a tire shop where we do everything from big rigs, to farm equipment, trucks, cars, occasional motorcycle tire and everything in between... I will say this. Seen it on farm/ construction equipment although that type of repair would normally get a tube. The patch will hold some structure, that is why it's marked for bead direction... No this should not be used on a vehicle that obtains a lot of speed. If the patch ruptures at speed it's rapid deflation.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Still holding up great! The sho goo is still cracking but here it is today after running it hard last weekend.
edit: thats actually the other tire that I fixed but they both still are being used.

Attachments

• photo305847.jpg
    photo305847.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 0

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
This is a joke....right? Or as suggested, a tire used for low speed off road equipment. I wouldn't even do that for my wheel barrow.
If he was so concerned about tire trouble in way off secluded areas, why not just carry a couple spares? So this must be a joke. This guy is playing us....and a bunch of us took the bait...

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
This is a joke....right? Or as suggested, a tire used for low speed off road equipment. I wouldn't even do that for my wheel barrow.
If he was so concerned about tire trouble in way off secluded areas, why not just carry a couple spares? So this must be a joke. This guy is playing us....and a bunch of us took the bait...

Have you seen how they fix rubber conveyer belts on Gold Rush that hual rocks? A tire is made of nylon cords so I just sew them up like a pair of jeans and put the patch under the threads. This tire has seen 80 plus mph and jumped at least a dozen times. The car gets hucked sidways and is purly a toy made to beat. Here is the new supercharged car that tire got run on.
It may not be for you or as a permenant fix on a road tire but I posted it here to show what can be done if you waste tires in BFE and dont have cell coverage or a way to get a tire. It’s not that hard to remove a tire from a rim with $5 harbor freight tire irons.

Attachments

• photo305860.jpg
    photo305860.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305861.jpg
    photo305861.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Every off road vehicle I have owned, it was difficult to take the tire off the rim with tire irons due to the way the rim is manufactured to retain the tire. If you can take one off, then you are a he man!

:faint2:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Those things lol like loads of fun!
The mention of tire irons...I used to change street bike tires by hand with a pair of tire irons on a compound bucket. I would sit the hub or sprocket inside the bucket when working the irons. There's a knack to getting the new tire on. You have to sit the bead in the center deeper part of the rim in order to get the bead completely on. I don't know if that makes sense...it's hard to explain...but, yeah it's a bit of a fight...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
On or off-road - This
fetch
and 80 MPH. SMH!

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Every off road vehicle I have owned, it was difficult to take the tire off the rim with tire irons due to the way the rim is manufactured to retain the tire. If you can take one off, then you are a he man!

:faint2:

If it’s hard then the tire is not sitting quite right. I lay the tire on the ground and carfully drive onto the tire to break the beads. A jack on the tire while jacking against the bumper also works well. The trick is to get a bead to drop down into the center section of the wheel. With the beads in the center section the other side irons right out. Any lube or spray soap helps put them back on. 7 year old Mexicans do them on youtube. Now if you want to see a he man then look at pocanojoe. Old motorcycle tires can kick your ass. I mounted all four new 35x12.50x15 Jeep mud tires this year. They are easier than a dirt bike knobby. Normally I’d just pay to get four tires mounted but I run internal air beadlocks called Stauns. They charge hourly mechanics rates to install those because its a pita. As said when they come off or go on hard you just reposition until they slip right on. You will know when its right. Fwiw I did run an inner tube in the buggy tire just in case and just replaced them.

If you have a tire that leaks and you have pin holes from cactus or leaky plugs then don’t use that corosive green slime. Use antifreeze with stop leak in it. It’s made to protect rubber and not corrode aluminum or steel. Another that I use is liquid starch from the clothes detergent grocery store isle. A 1/2 gallon is only a few bucks. Pump two cups in your tire. I use a syring with a fat vacuum line on to go over the shrader valve with the core out. It will never leak again. Both will work way better than slime and it’s way safer to run a tire with sealant in it than risking a slow leak or nail that results in a blowout.

I just replaced the buggy tires. I cut the wrap around side part of the scoops off and rounded the sidewall so they will slide. A belt sander buffed them nice. The important thing on these is to keep trimming the paddles down until they don’t bog the car down. You want to spin and be able to rev into the power band. Like ventelation holes in a prop would do. Before and after.

Attachments

• photo305877.jpg
    photo305877.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo305878.jpg
    photo305878.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could simply add more power to keep from bogging.... my old supercharged northstar from my Opel GT is now in a sand rail in California.

ahicks

Captain
This string is so far off topic (boat trailers) I'm surprised one of our shut down happy mods hasn't done that yet. Speaking personally, I couldn't possibly care less about how to get an ORV home after a sidewall puncture. Not when I'm reading here anyway....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This string is so far off topic (boat trailers) I'm surprised one of our shut down happy mods hasn't done that yet. Speaking personally, I couldn't possibly care less about how to get an ORV home after a sidewall puncture. Not when I'm reading here anyway....

Unfortunately the OP is the one who derailed his own thread. He can talk about anything in a thread he owns. Stuff like he uses stale cupcakes inside off road tires to make them into run flats. It wouldn't surprise me.