Tire sidewall repair

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would have simply swapped to the spare vs spending hours to de-mount a tire, sew it up, etc.

sam am I

Commander
Maybe the take away here regardless of how it was presented/perceived is that sometimes to limp out, when having no other choice and have survived to see (breath) another day, ya gotta do what ya gotta do even if it looks real real bad doing it..............:faint2:

Click image for larger version  Name:	toilet-snorkel.png Views:	1 Size:	23.2 KB ID:	10546570

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Is that a 4 wheeler tire?(atv).Years ago my friend tore a sidewall on his atv when we were out for a week hunting.Another friend was a race car driver and just happened to be going to town and took the tire home and fixed the sidewall.Tire was used for a year or more after that.Very low pressure in an atv tire (3 TO 10 PSI).Though I must admit his repair looked very professional vs yours.If your in the bush expecially inventiveness comes in handy.Carve an snowmobile rear idler wheel out of wood,replace a broken trailer spring with a tree branch.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
^^^ I had to replace a broken bushing in the gearshift mechanism of my pickup truck with a wad of dried up seagrass off the ramp a few months ago...

But I did order a new bushing when I got home!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My son was out 4x4ing with a buddy, blew the front shaft u-joint. Stuck in the mud. While standing there drinking a soda, my son says: I have an idea! He took the plastic bottle cap, and used them for the bearing caps that were gone. They got out of the mud hole, and made it home just fine!

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
you Should move to the Philippines there’s plenty of work there for a skill set like yours:) you could easily make a buck fity a day with work like that

82rude

Rear Admiral
My son was out 4x4ing with a buddy, blew the front shaft u-joint. Stuck in the mud. While standing there drinking a soda, my son says: I have an idea! He took the plastic bottle cap, and used them for the bearing caps that were gone. They got out of the mud hole, and made it home just fine!
I used a socket for the same thing.Got me home .Funny thing was a had 2 mech friends with me and they both said you cant do that you will ruin the socket ,lol.Who cared about the socket,duh! 80 miles to home and she made it .Mine was on the rear of a chev 1/2 ton.20 plus miles is a heck of a long way to walk out of the bush and this was pre cellphone era not that that would of helped as 1/4 mile off of hwy theres no cell service anyways.

rumit8

Recruit
The repairs are simply not thought to be solid or compelling. Regardless of whether the paste of an expert sidewall repair holds, it isn't a changeless arrangement.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Tire held 4 days just fine! The Shoo Goo cracked. Can anybody recomend a product I could carry that would be better than Shoo Goo? You have to spin the tires and steer with the rear on these cars so the tire takes a heck of a beating. I did see where a few threads were pulling thru the rubber under the goo but nothing major. I even had to drive over a car that crashed in front of me. What's better than shoo goo for this type of repair?

dvlp4m.jpg

ahicks

Captain
You ask a question like the one you did in a boat trailer forum. I don't know how you could think that you might get answers/ideas that might even closely relate to off road tires.

If you want some relevant ideas, try a relevant forum.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
You ask a question like the one you did in a boat trailer forum. I don't know how you could think that you might get answers/ideas that might even closely relate to off road tires.

If you want some relevant ideas, try a relevant forum.

I disagree. Any bush fix good or bad is exactly what I may need to know on boat or trailer that I take to the middle of knowhere. This fix may even fix a radiator hose long enough to get to the next watering hole. How about a fan belt made out of rope or rags? Out of the question for you and your sea tow membership or VHF call but way up the fingers on Lake Powell it's a fix or the PLB. Lake Alamo or worse Lake Horseshoe AZ where I go is 25 miles of rocky dirt roads to a deserted lake. No cell coverage and no people. Add in that it could be 120 degrees and I'm stitching boat trailer tires if I have too. Must be nice to be a city slicker that can boat within cell phone range but for those that drive to and boat in paradise any fix is a good fix if it gets you home.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well yes, a bush fix will get ya home, I understand that. But to keep using a bush fix, is just going to stop you later.

ahicks

Captain
I disagree. Any bush fix good or bad is exactly what I may need to know on boat or trailer that I take to the middle of knowhere. This fix may even fix a radiator hose long enough to get to the next watering hole. How about a fan belt made out of rope or rags? Out of the question for you and your sea tow membership or VHF call but way up the fingers on Lake Powell it's a fix or the PLB. Lake Alamo or worse Lake Horseshoe AZ where I go is 25 miles of rocky dirt roads to a deserted lake. No cell coverage and no people. Add in that it could be 120 degrees and I'm stitching boat trailer tires if I have too. Must be nice to be a city slicker that can boat within cell phone range but for those that drive to and boat in paradise any fix is a good fix if it gets you home.

OR, it could be a complete waste of time. Time that could have been used towards getting/doing the job done correctly. If you're going to go all "survivalist" with a boat and trailer, I'd suggest you consider adding a spare tire and wheel hub to your basic equipment list that you never leave without. Same equipment list the needle, thread, and Goo are on.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
What the tire looks like today.It has been rode hard and I'll ride it some more. The Sho-Goo sealant that's used to protect the threads still cracks. Can anybody recomend a product that is more flexible to try?

Attachments

• photo303660.jpg
    photo303660.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Buy a new tire. That thing is way past jury rigging to make one more mile.