towing capacity 2017 chev suburban

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought a 2017 chev suburban LT4wd does not have a factory tow pkg I have a number of concerns I have a 24 ft boat wt aprox 4500 empty +1500 trailer+gear est wt7000 lb issues 1st Factory hidden hitch is this adequate for this much wt. This hitch is mounted to the back side of the bumper my old rig was bolted to the frame .2nd did not come with a 4 wd low 2 spd gearcase for pulling out of boat ramp. my tahoe did and it was a super set up at the boat ramp. I am concerned it may be to much stress on the drive train . I am curious to hear from others who also have a late model suburban Thanks jim

Last edited:

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So is it 2wd, or 4wd?
I have an older Tahoe, so not quite the same, so can't speak from experience..
I'd personally want to add a hitch that mounts to the frame.

To at least give some specs anyway, this is based on Chevy site for 2017 Suburban:
5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine - 2WD
GVWR (lbs.)7300.00 lbs
Max Conventional Trailering (lbs.)6300 lbs
Max Trailering (lbs.) - Requires Max Trailering Package8300 lbs

The 4WD claims to have conventional at 6000lbs, and max at 8000...

Hope it helps!

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm wondering why you would buy one without the tow package

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
it was a exceptional deal and was a take it or leave it type of situation

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hmmm...
How steep are the ramps you use?
Just thinking out loud here...

Even if it's 2wd, if you got a great deal on it, would it not be worth adding a "Tow Package"?
At least brake controller, frame mounted hitch, oil and transmission cooler (or upgrade existing)...
Not sure if gearing is different in the max tow package, but with the oil and transmission coolers, it'd help the drivetrain I'd think.. (not a car pro, so not positive on that..)

And actually, does it have the "Tow" button on the end of the gear shifter or not? (guessing not by your description...)

Maybe beefier springs and brakes on the truck?
No idea actual cost, but even if it was a couple grand, if the deal was sweet enough when you bought it, would it be worth it? Probably more worth it if it's already 4WD...

With some of those, you'd probably be closer to 7000, maybe 7500 tow capacity.. (hmmm...)

If ramps are steep, I think I'd want the 4WD....
I don't know.. Maybe not worth it..

Again, just thinking out loud... :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
conventional tow on these trucks is the 3.42:1 diffs
the max tow option is 3.73:1 diffs

post #1 says 4WD yet I am confused by the comment that it does not have the ability to select 4 lo. should be the knob on the dash just above the light switch

tow capacity is what is listed. go beyond that and things start to break in that over-complicated electronic shift transmission. has nothing to do with springs or any of that, has to do with the ability for the truck to pull the load and not grenade the driveline. increasing the brakes may help, however these trucks have great brakes to begin with. brakes are the same between the standard and max tow options.

I would verify the weight of the boat, trailer, etc. my 24' boat is listed as 3600# dry, 1250# for the trailer, and I have about an estimated 830# of fuel and gear on board. I know this because the scale ticket said 5680

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't worry about 4WD at the ramp. I've used 4WD at a ramp once in 25 years and even then only as a precaution as the ramp had a lot of sands on it. FWIW: As an avid surf fisherman, I've driven 1000's of miles of soft sand aired down to 10 psi. Pulling a boat up a ramp is a piece of cake in comparison.

The biggest looser is the 3:73 rear end and load leveling capability (Nivomat shocks) of the tow package. Combined they make a big difference on how the truck tows.

Maclin

Admiral
What is the "Factory Hitch" you mention rated? Class I or II or III? Does it have a receiver or just a tab sticking out with a hole for a ball? A Class III hitch is 6,000lb capacity, almost always bolted to the frame in some fashion. A bumper hitch is only class I or II maybe. A ball in the bumper hole, who knows. Class IV are for 10k, pretty serious hardware and frame mounted, not all frames can take it :)

If you do have (or install) a Class III hitch be sure the receiver+ball are heavy duty and rated Class III also.

As mentioned, the rear gears make a big difference in vehicle rating.

NYBo

Admiral
If your weight estimate is correct (why is it that these so frequently end up being under the actual weight?), you have purchased a vehicle that does not have adequate towing capacity. Axle ratio, transmission cooler, and hitch can be changed, but so much for the great deal you got. These upgrades will cost thousands.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Factory hitches are class III recievers. Tahoe and 'burb get a removable vanity cover over it

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm not exactly sure what the newest iteration of the suburban comes with when it has a factory tow package. I've towed so much over the years and our accesses in my state of 11,000+ lakes tend to be at the worst, steepest, least desirable spots on the lakes. It's hard to even find a non-4wd truck or suv here with at least on demand AWD such as the Escalade or the Yukon Denali have. I've seen just about every situation at this point with every manner of tow vehicle with and without some sort of 4wd. I think I'd be more concerned if your Suburban doesn't have the G80 locking rear differential (not limited slip which is the G86). You can do a lot at the ramp if you know how to work a G80 even without 4wd. Of course trucks have for more than a decade had an electronic sort of limited slip built in that is used under the stability control system which can mitigate slipage as well. This is not the same as traction control which can inhibit getting out of a ramp situation. Having the correct tires can also forgive the sin of not getting an adequately equipped tow rig where the pull out is concerned. Does your list of codes on the glove box sticker say G80?

briangcc

Commander
From Chevy's webpage...

Max Trailering Package

$780
  • 3.42 rear axle ratio
  • Trailer brake controller
  • 4WD models include 2-speed active transfer case
  • LS and LT models include Z85 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension Package with air leveler
  • Included on LS models equipped with All-Season Package

* May require other optional equipment

Without that you're at the lower trailer rating and based off your own estimate of 7000lbs towed you're over limit..alot. Could you get away with it? Maybe? Will it be safe doing it? Probably not. Would I do it? No.

Maclin

Admiral
jwkoehn Do you know for a fact the the factory hidden hitch you mentioned only bolts to the bumper? If it only attaches to the bumper then that would not be adequate for much more than what a bumper+ball could handle. If it is a receiver type hitch then I bet it has girders tucked up under there somewhere that mount to the frame.

JoyceWilker

Recruit
As you want to tow a boat you should have bought with tow package. To find the solution for this issue, it will be good to contact professional service providers as they can help you with this or you can also search on the internet to find useful references. As the suburbs doesn't have tow package you can try to install it externally according to towing weight with reference to the vehicle manual so that it does not get damage. Else to transport a boat you can hire an auto transportation company.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Before anything you need to determine the the manufacturers gvwr and max tow capacity. You can find that in your owners manual. Then determine the gross weight of your boat and trailer. You do not want to tow anything that exceeds the manufacturers max ratings. Also so you know what ever modification or additions you make will not increase the manufacturers weight ratings or tow capacities. They are what they are, you can’t increase them.
If you are within manufacturers specs then you are good to go. Be sure your hitch is rated to handle the the max weight of boat and trailer.
If your vehicle doesn’t have an engine or tranny oil cooler you will want to add them. They can greatly extend engine and transmission life.
You do not want to tow in excess of manu ratings for numerous reasons. A few (not all) include - it is dangerous as the steering, suspension and brakes are inadequate. The stress on the drive train may cause premature failure of the engine, transmission and other parts. If you have an accident while towing something in excess of the manufacturer ratings you may have a liability problem and your insurance may not cover you.
So bottom line determine your gross vehicle weight ratings and tow capacity and do not exceed them.
Heres an interesting short article regarding increasing tow capacity.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto...city/information/increase-towing-capacity.htm

Last edited:

gtochris

From Chevy's webpage...

Max Trailering Package

$780
  • 3.42 rear axle ratio
  • Trailer brake controller
  • 4WD models include 2-speed active transfer case
  • LS and LT models include Z85 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension Package with air leveler
  • Included on LS models equipped with All-Season Package

* May require other optional equipment

Without that you're at the lower trailer rating and based off your own estimate of 7000lbs towed you're over limit..alot. Could you get away with it? Maybe? Will it be safe doing it? Probably not. Would I do it? No.

Finally- Someone posted what I was about to post.

The biggest handicap you have is your Suburban has 3.08 axle ratio's, the 3.42 is what increases the capacity from the 6K area to 8K.
The 2 speed transfer case was deleted as they determined most without the tow package will never be worked.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would be highly surprised if the hitch/receiver was in fact bolted to the bumper, I have never seen that on a post 2000 Burb, they've always been a class 3 receiver.

As for the no 4 wheel hi/low, there could be a remote chance that it's an all wheel drive. GM made a few of them in the 2000-2007 era, they had no 4 wheel lo. Pretty sure anyway.

Our 08 Burb doesn't have a tow package, , not a real big deal as we barely tow with it ( I have a 3/4 to garage queen) but the thing that just burns me is why they don't install the G80 locking differential as standard issue. I mean it would raise the price of the truck what, , maybe $200?

gtochris

I would be highly surprised if the hitch/receiver was in fact bolted to the bumper, I have never seen that on a post 2000 Burb, they've always been a class 3 receiver.

As for the no 4 wheel hi/low, there could be a remote chance that it's an all wheel drive. GM made a few of them in the 2000-2007 era, they had no 4 wheel lo. Pretty sure anyway.

Our 08 Burb doesn't have a tow package, , not a real big deal as we barely tow with it ( I have a 3/4 to garage queen) but the thing that just burns me is why they don't install the G80 locking differential as standard issue. I mean it would raise the price of the truck what, , maybe $200?

They all do standard.
Since 2007 the hitch has been standard and a factory part of the rear bumper
I attached also a picture of the non tow-pkg 4x4 dial. It has all the same choices but no 4L0 switch area.

Also, if you look at the Specs: G80 LSD is standard on all Suburban / Tahoe now.

Attachments

• install-curt-discovery-brake-controller-2015-chevrolet-tahoe-c51120_644.jpg
    install-curt-discovery-brake-controller-2015-chevrolet-tahoe-c51120_644.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4x4 Switch .jpg
    4x4 Switch .jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jwkoehn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
did some checking boat w/ trailer weight 5700# suburban is 4wd on demand has xl capacity engine and tranny coolers hitch is rated at 10,000 class 3 from factory