Do I have the right equipment?

BuddyinStL

Recruit
So...I've bought a new boat, and I'm getting prepared to pick it up. The only problem is, it's clear across the State of Missouri (saved $750). I want to make sure I have the right size equipment to tow the boat back 230 miles. The boat is a 2018 Tahoe 215xi (4350lbs w/trailer) and I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4 w/ towing package (8900lb). Also have a tow hitch with a 2" ball rated at 6000 lbs. I've never towed a boat before, but I did drive a submarine a few times. The most weight I've ever towed with the Ram is a trailer full of firewood, and the truck drove like a dream. I just want to make sure I don't end up on an episode of Cops or something dumb. Any and all responses are appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Tow away - The truck capacity and ball are well above the rig weight.

Keep your distance from the traffic front of you and watch your speed.

It's a new rig - Stop every 50 miles or so and check the lugnuts. After a couple of times, they should stay tight.

Maclin

Admiral
Hopefully where you are buying has the shop still open, so when you connect and check out all the trailer lights and brakes they can get you fixed up if a connector needs adapting or something. You have a good towing safety margin with the equipment, no worries there :)

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iBoats! :welcome:

A rig that size should have brakes of some sort on the trailer. Find out from the seller what type. If they are surge brakes, you don't need anything additional for the truck. However, if they are electric, you will need an electic brake controller; there should be a wiring harness already in the truck for it.

Make sure you have a ball mount with the proper drop.

Alumarine

Captain
I have a set of portable trailer lights that I carry with me.
I find trailer lights to often be the weak link.

When you check the lugnuts also check the temperature of the wheel hubs/bearings.
You should be able to hold your hand on them.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

The tow vehicle is certainly up to the task, it will be up to you to avoid being an episode of Cops. :)

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One thing to check is the height of your trailer hitch ball as NYBro mentioned—you want to make sure the trailer is as level as possible so the tongue weight is good and so it doesn’t “sway” as you’re going down the road.

Just make sure you have a ball mount that puts the bottom of the ball (or top of the ball mount) at the measurement of the bottom of the coupler.

many trailers are set up with a 17 inch “height to bottom of coupler” measurement but call the boat dealer and ask them. You can get ball mounts with various “rises or drop” at a lot of places—even our local Wally World has a decent selection.

the boat dealer may or may not sell ball mounts so its something to try to get before you go to pick up the boat.

Last edited:

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Also ask the dealer what type of plug the trailer has (ex—4 pin, 5 pin, 7 pin) and make sure its compatable with the receptacle on your Tahoe, (something Maclin also pointed out earlier)

if it isn’t, there are adapters available (usually less than $15) to make them work together.

ahicks

Captain
Make sure the dealer you are buying from is expecting you - and there are experienced techs on duty to give you a hand as required. Make an appointment if necessary! Expecting them to help you hook up and look everything over not unreasonable at all.

If you don't see the truck squat an inch or 2 as the tongue is lowered down on the ball, start asking questions about tongue weight. If you're OK there, boats pull like a dream. Just give yourself some extra room in front of you and on the inside of any corner where maneuvering gets tight - at gas stations for example....

dwco5051

Commander
Just in case have a jack that will work on the trailer. Also the lug nuts on the trailer may be a different size that the lug wrench for your truck. Make sure it also works to remove the spare from it's mount. Removing the spare with 12" channel locks it not fun on a rainy night. Don't even ask how I know :grumpy:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
First your rig is totally up to the task of towing. As mentioned ould verify you have enough tongue weight on the trailer but not sure what you can do if it is not set up well other than but weight in the bow...

In the same situation I towed a similar size boat with my highlander about 100 miles. Biggest issue picking it up was the surge brakes on trailer were shot... so stopping required planning ahead. Drove slow and it was fine, but with size of your truck there will be enough brake capacity that if you pick it up and the trailer brakes don't work you will be ok, just take it easy on speed.

I think biggest concern would be condtion of tires and tires and bearings on trailer. As above take a good tool kit, jack, breaker bar, big socket set, and 12 Vdc air compressor . If you check the hubs for bearings getting hot periodically you can see if there is an issue. when you pick it up you can probably tell what bearing size is on it and pick up a set at Walmart or tractor supply as a just in case. If it doesn't have a spare same thing.

bottom line take your time and stop to check it out frequently and you'll be ok

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Ill throw a couple things out there that I didn’t see mentioned.
after hooking up the boat to your truck make the dealer torque your lug nuts on the trailer. This may not be an issue if your wheels are not galvanized but I know two people who had new galvanized trailer wheels fly off first 200 miles of driving and the funny part or not so funny part was one of them it happened two twice on new boat purchases,the second time he asked repeatedly about that and it happened again. New wheels with coatings the lug nuts don’t grip often times I have to sand the coating out the taper I’ve built a tapered device for my drill for this now, I run an auto repair shop and new wheels are a headache.

Next would be a trip permit some state troopers are sticklers for this I am picking up a new dump trailer in a couple weeks the dealer cannot let it off the lot without a trip permit.

make sure your hitch ball is rated for the GVW don’t go and buy a new stinger and ball if you have one wait till your truck and trailer are hooked up to determine the right drop or raise to set your trailer right do make sure you’re hitch and ball are tight and will handle the load though.

Boat will most likely have surge brakes sometimes they may need an adjustment google that so you know how if there locking up early or late it’s very simple.

do a few aggressive stops and manouvers to understand what is happening if the need arises. Trailer chains are to be crossed and not to drag on dips or corners twist them to take out the slack adjust your mirrors to a point you can see the outer most edge of tire or boat but still be able to see what’s in your direct path hopefully your truck has split mirrors if not look into that down the road there great if your towing. Remember to breathe after you get out of the lot many reasons to be overlying excited. Maybe bring life jackets and find a body of water on your way home. Don’t forget the plug tilt your Outboard or drive up when loading or launching if you do. I think for sure I’d have to put it in the water on my way home;).

Is it there yet. Must be exciting. I bought a new boat in August i had tried to set up a sea run for a month but August is hectic for me. The dealer called one sat morning told me he was dragging it out to my house to see it in action. He drug that 11,000 pound thing 85 miles stuffed it in the water I spent about ten minutes in it put it back on the trailer. He unhooked it at the boat launch I signed a couple papers and he left it there. I already New I wanted it without putting it in the water. Now it sits frozen out there in the driveway wishing it was in a warm ocean

BuddyinStL

Recruit
Thanks for all of the replies and advice. The trailer will have surge brakes. The dealer is a full service marine dealer, so if there is anything that arises with the fit of the trailer, lights...etc, I'm sure they'll take of of us. My plan is to put it in the water 10 minutes after I pick it up and put it through trials there, as the dealer is at Truman Lake. That way, if there are any issues, I can get them dealt with right away. Just trying to breathe.

82rude

Rear Admiral
All great ideas.Also don't over stress or over think this or you will ruin the experience.Good luck and happy boating and towing.

briangcc

Commander
Only item I would add is invest in a spare tire before leaving the marina. You'll pay more but you'll have it if you need it on your trip back. Weirder things have happened.

Otherwise, enjoy the boat!!

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
When we purchased our current boat it was from a private party on the other side of the state (5 hours away). I asked lots of questions via email regarding the proper drop of the draw bar so the boat trailer would be level. At the time I didn't have a spare tire and fortunately we didn't need it for the ride home however I did purchase one shortly afterwards.

We often tow 400 plus miles one way with our boat and I make sure I have sockets that will fit the trailer wheels, a breaker bar to make taking the lug nuts off, a jack, jack stands, I also bring some plywood scraps that I can place under the jack in case the shoulder of the road is not firm.

As far as towing, keep your speeds lower than normal, leave plenty of space in front of you, make sure your mirrors are adequate to see down the sides of the boat, keep distractions at a minimum inside the truck, don't talk on the phone.

Just go easy realizing that it will take longer to get home, take more frequent rest stops to check on your trailer tires to see how they are wearing and how warm they are.

Enjoy the new boat.