Surge brakes doing nothing

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just boat a 246 Chaparral with a Road Runner tandem axle trailer. Trailer has surge brakes and is full of fluid, but when I hit the brakes, I feel a hard slam and the same when I take off. Seems as if the surge moving portion that hooks to my ball is moving freely. Is there some sort of actuator or arm that should be dampening that inside there ? I dont feel the brakes working at all.

alldodge

Staff member
Start with bleeding the brakes. Could be the master cylinder has an issue, but need to see if bleeding works first.

If you get the tongue higher then the rear wheels, you can open the bleeder screws and watch for fluid to come out. Otherwise need to install the trailer hitch ball in the hitch (not attached to truck), have help so one can pump the master while another bleeds cylinders on the wheels

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Slamming is often caused by a bad shock absorber. A bad shock and non-working brakes intensifies the banging.

A vacuum bleeder makes bleeding a one man job.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
adjust the brake shoes, bleed the brake lines and inspect the shock

tpenfield

Staff member
Sounds like you need to go through the basics . . .

Disc or Drum?

Are the brakes actually working?

Does the coupler have grease fittings? Are they greased?

Is the coupler worn out? They are not that expensive to replace.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you need to go through the basics . . .

Disc or Drum?

Are the brakes actually working?

Does the coupler have grease fittings? Are they greased?

Is the coupler worn out? They are not that expensive to replace.

They are disc brakes and they dont seem to be working at all. I will look and see if there are grease fittings this weekend. When I had new tires put on i looked at the disc and pads and they are in great shape.

tpenfield

Staff member
One way to test disk brakes (on a surge brake system) is to unplug the electrical and back up the trailer . . . a slight uphill incline usually helps put some load on the coupler.

IF . . . the brakes are working the trailer wheels should lock up. If you can continue backing, then the trailer brakes are not working. Probably caliper frozen up.