Atwood Surge brakes

bartman99

Cadet
I have an old tandem trailer with Atwood surge brakes. The tongue is welded on. The components are shot and to replace it all will probably be ~$250 in parts ( I can do the repair). However, I've read some bad things about how unreliable the Atwood system is. My alternative is to put a new tongue on. I don't have the tools or skill to do that as it would require cutting the old one off, welding on a new channel extension and bolting on a new tongue. I'm guessing around $200 just for the labor of cutting and welding. so substantially more a brake system.

What would you do? I DO want brakes as I will be towing about 5000#.

Attachments

• photo285369.jpg
    photo285369.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285370.jpg
    photo285370.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can get a new shock and master cylinder for your atwood head unit

Alumarine

Captain
While the Atwood wouldn't be my first choice they do work when maintained properly.
What seems to be wrong with current one?

The master cylinder can be replaced and I believe there is a kit that also includes the breakaway cable.
They are a royal pain to work on when they're welded like that.

The easiest solution would be to grind that off and get an extension welded on that would accept a bolt on coupler.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The easiest solution would be to grind that off and get an extension welded on that would accept a bolt on coupler.
Yes. They can easily be rebuilt as is unless the coupler itself is severely worn out.....

And while that would certainly be the easiest and cheapest, I removed all the surge junk hydraulic drum brakes and replaced with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust (3500lb) electric brakes. I think I spent about $400 for the brakes assemblies and new drums.

My boat and trailer is somewhat more than 6000lbs when fully loaded with "stuff". No more hot smoking brakes at the bottom of long hills......I'll never go back to surge braking on anything.

But if you just want to get back on the road with what you have, just rebuild the coupler with a new MC and the other worn parts.

Regards,

Rick

bartman99

Cadet
OP here. I need a complete rebuild of the head unit with both the master cylinder and the shock as well as likely new hydraulic lines (I would need those no matter which way it goes). Everything is rusted and non-functional.It looks like around $150 for those, plus another ~$75-100 for lines. I'm getting quotes around $250 to cut off the old tongue and weld on an extension, another ~$150 for new tongue with surge and then the same for lines. Doing it the 2nd way is a bit more expensive, but I guess if the Atwood system is OK if maintained well, I would probably go the cheaper route.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
You might be able to save some money if you grind off the old coupler yourself?

bartman99

Cadet
You might be able to save some money if you grind off the old coupler yourself?

Maybe. But the welders I called wanted me to bring them the trailer. That would be difficult with the coupler removed! Perhaps I need to find a welder that does house calls!

bartman99

Cadet
BTW, what is the galvanized steel rectangular bar called? The trailer is made up of 2" x4" hollow rectangular steel bars. If I want to buy some more for an extension, what exactly is it called?

NYBo

Admiral
While you're at it, replace those wire nuts with proper waterproof connectors.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
BTW, what is the galvanized steel rectangular bar called? The trailer is made up of 2" x4" hollow rectangular steel bars. If I want to buy some more for an extension, what exactly is it called?

Don't see any galvanized steel.

Before the rectangular steel tubing is welded to the trailer it's called rectangular steel tubing. Afterwards it's called the tongue.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Make your own brake lines. A 50' coil of copper-nickel brake line is $50. New brass nuts ($0.78 ea) and a flare tool and you have new hard lines in an afternoon for $60. $10 each for rubber lines, $100 for a pair of galvanized loaded backing plates, a rebuild kit and you have new brakes for $300

bartman99

Cadet
Just wondering if I grind off the current coupler, would it be possible/safe to bolt on a new piece of rectangular tubing to mount a new coupler on? I don't weld, but I can drill and bolt!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Depends on how thick the material is on the tongue. depends on how deep you grind into the material.