New Tow Vehicle for the Admiral's Daily Car

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Was the paint on it Gold Mist? If it is, it is the same colour as my STS.

My 95 Fleetwood has the factory Tow Option, rated for 7000lbs, not bad for a car, Has 7500 miles on it
$_27.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Was the paint on it Gold Mist? If it is, it is the same colour as my STS.

My 95 Fleetwood has the factory Tow Option, rated for 7000lbs, not bad for a car, Has 7500 miles on it

Don't know about the paint color, but it was a metallic white, with a gold hue. 7,000 lb. towing for a car is really good.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
One thing I do like about the Gold Mist colour, it hides dust very well, I managed to go from spring to fall without having the car look dirty enough to wash it

tpenfield

Staff member
OK, here are some daylight pictures just to be sure 'it happened' :D. We drove to the summer house and brought back the 2004 Explorer so that we could get its annual inspection sticker done, as it expires in a few days.

The New Ride . . .
image2.jpeg

The old ride . . . surprisingly it passed inspection. Last year it failed 'cuz the CEL came on. . . Stupid CEL. I reset the error code and got it inspected a while later. I got to do some front brake work on it, then back to the summer house to make room in the driveway.
image3.jpeg

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0

82rude

Rear Admiral
Where I live those emission tests are waived because were in northern Ontario.Nice new ride.Whats it have for a motor,eco-boost ?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
We've never had Emission Testing. Shh.... don't give them ideas.

The Eco-Boost has had some issues with the hard soot messing up the turbo charger, courtesy of the DI, Ford has been replacing the cylinder heads under warranty to deal with the carbon build up on the intake valves(fine while under warranty, but once that runs out...). Running Intake and Induction cleaners has knocked the carbon loose and then it proceeds to wipe out the turbine on the turbo.

tpenfield

Staff member
Where I live those emission tests are waived because were in northern Ontario.Nice new ride.Whats it have for a motor,eco-boost ?

No EcoBoost (marketing speak for Turbo charged) on the XLT.

You need to get the Sport model or Platinum series for the 3.5 EcoBoost. There are some 2.3 I4 EcoBoost engine models (but they do not have a good towing rating) I believe all of the factory towing packages require the 3.5 engine , either regular aspirated or EcoBoosted.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
No EcoBoost (marketing speak for Turbo charged) on the XLT.

You need to get the Sport model or Platinum series for the 3.5 EcoBoost. There are some 2.3 I4 EcoBoost engine models (but they do not have a good towing rating) I believe all of the factory towing packages require the 3.5 engine , either regular aspirated or EcoBoosted.

So, Ted......something tells me you're not towing that F330 SS with your new ride?;);)

Explorer's are beautiful. Would have bought one for my wife but it was to big for just us. We got a Ford Edge instead. Nice looking :)
My wife wants a new Edge! I'll go for it if we get the "Sport" version with the twin Turbo 2.7L V-6!

tpenfield

Staff member
So, Ted......something tells me you're not towing that F330 SS with your new ride?;);)

My wife wants a new Edge! I'll go for it if we get the "Sport" version with the twin Turbo 2.7L V-6!

Correct . . . No towing the 330SS . . . probably have to get an F-350 for that :) just going to use the Explorer to tow the sailboat once in a while.