4 bolt or 5 bolt wheels

prlwng

Seaman
Getting ready to put new brakes on a twin axel bunk trailer. Currently have one year old tires on 4 bolt rims 13 inch. This is a one axel for brakes set up.

when I look for complete brake kits, needs surge coupler also, all I find is 5 bolt drums.

Do not really want to buy new rims for this. Unless their is a big advanage to having 5 bolt wheels.

Loaded boat and trailer is under 4 tho gross. Boat at 3 rest for junk and trailer.

Lines and drums seem good, so was thinking backing plates and coupler for minumum.

what are some of your ideas?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would simply get new backing plates and a new master cylinder for your current coupler

alldodge

Staff member
Must be an old trailer, I to am unable to find 4 bolt rims. If you cannot find the parts needed to repair what you have (use any drum master cylinder), then you may need to change over.

If this is the case, I'm pretty sure you can find 5 hole 13 inch rims, so then decide if you want disc or drum brakes

NYBo

Admiral
There are 4-bolt drum brakes, but they are only 7", electric or hydraulic, and for 2000# capacity axles.

prlwng

Seaman
Well Scott is thinking along my line. Will have to put complete coupler on as it had been changed. These are 8 inch brakes tho.

Did find some 8 inch with "free backing" brakes. This was the backing plates in the right size. What do you know of the free backing brakes?

Yes, these are probably 2tho axels. Boat is listed as 2900.

alldodge

Staff member
The free backing means its designed to release most of the hold on the drums when backing. The master cylinder pushes fluid into the brake cylinders causing the brakes to engage, when the trailers is moving forward the hold and stop. When the trailer is pushed backwards from a stop the brakes do not hold and just drag some