Can't find elusive alum. trailer wheel

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Lug centric wheels seem to be a thing of the past. My trailer has alum. 15" X 6" on 4.5" bolt pattern, outlaw 2 wheels, that are "LUG CENTRIC". The trailer has a mount for a spare tire, but had no spare when I bought it. Not being able to find a "LUG CENTRIC", I bought & tried a hub centric, & after appx 30 mi. the wheel was loose & wabbleing. I stopped & retightened it & again it came loose. Tried another hub centric with the same results. Does anyone know where I may be able to find a "LUG CENTRIC" wheel to use for a spare. I've looked a lot, but nobody has been able to help. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
lug centric vs hub centric wheels can be one in the same. if the wheel pilots off the hub, its hub centric. if the wheel hub is larger than the hub, its lug centric

you are re-torquing your wheels after the first 5 minutes, correct?

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, My brake drums have a tapered center hub, kind'f looks like a funnel, coming off the center of the drum. I wish I could post pictures, I've never seen this kind before. Because the center of the wheel doesn't rest (ride) on this funnel, the lug nuts have shoulders that go appx 1" up inside the lug hole in the wheel, thus the wheel is riding on the lugs shoulders instead of the center hub. Back in the "60's &"70's" many mag wheels for cars & trucks were made "lug centric", but now it seems nobody has them. No, I haven't stopped & retorqued any wheels, after 5 minutes. I've never had a wheel that needed retorqued after 5 minutes, may check them in a few days, but never after 5 min. The orig. "lug centric"wheels, on there now have never needed it. I could buy new brake drums, with center hubs & 3 new wheels, but just wish I could find 1 suitable wheel, to fix my problem. There has got to be one out there somewhere. Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the uni-mount wheels from the 60's and 70's were an abomination of a wheel that always came off because they used the crappy shouldered lug nuts you describe

and every time you mount a wheel, you need to come back after 5 minutes of driving to re-torque.

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
I don't remember the lug centric mag wheels, of the old muscle car days, causing problems. The "uni lug" wheels used washers to change the lug spacing from 4.5", to 5", to 5.5", they were notorious for problems. Like I said, I'd rather not buy all new drums & wheels, when 1 used wheel will fix my problem, if I can find it.. Also, I kind'f like the looks of the alum. wheels as opposed to a plain old wheels. I know the plain wheels will get me there & back just fine, just my preference, I'd rather have the prettier one. The search goes on. Thanks, I do appreciate the input.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Where are ya,..??

I've got a stack of 4 wheels like ya need,.... PM me for details, 'n where yer at on the planet,....

rphillips

Seaman Apprentice
Correction, I punched the wrong button in my first post. I need a wheel that is 14x6, not a 15x6. Sorry, & Thanks to all

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If ya decide to go to 15"s, I've got the set of 4 kickin' 'round,.... ;)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'd just go buy 3 cheap wheels that fit the tires and feel safe.

I had a set of expensive chrome Crager wire wheels on a 70 something Ram that were drop dead gorgeous. Other than them wanting to fall off and kill us all they were great. I almost forgot that until reading this thread, what a pain. I think we set in spacers. Buy new wheels.