Trailer winch

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My trailer -boat winch just stripped at the handle so I will be getting a new one so just looking for some advice. Does it matter if I get a steel cable or does it have to be the strap type. Its only yanking up a 16 foot cuddy but I dunk the trailer almost every time at launch, I fish both salt and fresh water and was thinking the salt will wreck the steel cable in no time but I dont know so Im coming to you guys for the answer. Thanks for any and all help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I prefer the strap over the cable. the cable frays and becomes a point of injury. the strap is actually stronger than the steel cable.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with Scott. Strapping is the way to go. Cables will inevitably start to fray and then you get metal slivers in your fingers. Just research a few model winches and straps, as the straps will come with different loads they are rated for. With a 16 footer, you should have no problem finding a strap that will be more than strong enough to last many a year.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I've scrapped all of my steel cables on winches, 'n went to synthetic rope,...
Way stronger, 'n much safer,.....

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I agree 100%

QUOTE=Scott Danforth;n10528506]I prefer the strap over the cable. the cable frays and becomes a point of injury. the strap is actually stronger than the steel cable.[/QUOTE]

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Agree + 1. My thought is if the cable snaps under tension; you got a missle going somewhere; toward you or the boat. Bad news either way.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well thank you all very much and all you guys gave me the info I thought I would hear. Every one of my boats Ive ever had had straps but I found a brand new cable one for Ten bucks on CL. Happy I checked first though cause I was going to buy it and believe me I have felt the pain of rubbing my hands on a frayed cable or worse yet a worn out steal belted radial tire

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy it and put on a strap. same winch, different "rope"

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not a fan of straps...changed from Galv cable to strap per recomendation. Lasted 2 years before it frayed and needed replaced. Went back to galvanize cable then sold the boat.

Current boat has an electric winch with stainless cable. Ten years, so far so good. When the time comes I’ll give Kevlar cable a try.

Having said that, my boat(s) are much heavier. Given your 16’ boat, I would probably go with a strap

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Three of my boats have straps and I just love them. But they are not trouble free either. Once years ago I had one fray....just a little bit. Well, the next time retrieving it ripped thru 98% and I ended up having to tie a square knot in it to pull the boat up the last foot. Of course I had a safety cable and bow tie down too so driving home was not an issue. Naturally I replaced it with another strap because that is what the winch was made for.

Over the years 2 of the trailers I bought had straps that wouldn't even reach to the last roller on the trailer, so they were replaced after the first outing. One of my straps is now 13 years old and it looks like a replacement is in the offing.

OTOH, my largest boat has a PowerWinch with a SS cable. It is now 34 years old and I see no fraying at all. I have no fear of grasping the cable with a bare hand. That may eventually be replaced with another cable, but it looks like it may just outlast all my straps.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The steel cable one I was looking at was a harbor freight one and I think i would be lucky if the cable lasted three years. No doubt in my mind it would rust fast if it even saw saltwater:)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I have a strap and greatly prefer it over cable. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to cable. One puncture from rusty, needle-like strand from a steel cable and you'd be running to buy a strap. Maybe stainless would be better, but I really like my strap.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The steel cable one I was looking at was a harbor freight one and I think i would be lucky if the cable lasted three years. No doubt in my mind it would rust fast if it even saw saltwater:)

The "free" blue plastic magnetic flashlights from HF are truly awesome. Everything else is such crap that I wouldn't even use it on my lawn tractor, must less my prized boat.

You get what you pay for...