Air Bags vs WDH

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Excellent and makes it very clear. It seems that air bags can be OK for lighter tongue weights that will not overload the rear axle of the tow vehicle but not when you get to the example they used with 1,000 lbs of tongue weight. Those of us with small boats with relatively light tongue weights (ie less than 400 lbs) can use air bags but its important for the driver to realize what they can, and cannot do....

ahicks

Captain
Another point for consideration. Late model trucks have electronic "squat"/ride height sensors that control brake proportioning valves, that determine front/rear braking distribution . Airbags can throw that calibration off big time (gotta luv them computers!)....

Weight distributing hitches, if set up and used properly, should squash all 4 corners about eqaully.

NYBo

Admiral
Another point for consideration. Late model trucks have electronic "squat"/ride height sensors that control brake proportioning valves, that determine front/rear braking distribution . Airbags can throw that calibration off big time (gotta luv them computers!)....
I don't believe height-sensing proportioning valves have been used in years, and certainly not in vehicles with ABS.

ahicks

Captain
While that may be true, that's not what I was told when I tried to buy air shocks for a truck I had not too long ago.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That type of proportioning valve was what they used in the days before 4 wheel ABS became standard. The idea was to limit hydraulic power to the rear brakes unless there was a load back there to prevent rear wheel lock up, since unloaded pick ups are very light in the rear. However, if you loaded 1000 lbs of stuff back there, then adding braking power would be desirable at the rear wheels...

I don't think you'd have any issues adding air bags on a modern truck with ABS at all....