Parts required for "Homemade" trailer?

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm in the state of Washington.
I acquired a small trailer for my inflatable boat. No title, no registration, data sticker faded beyond recondition. Trailer was made my King trailers as there is still a logo sticker on the tongue. I sent an email to King and they had me look in a particular place for a VIN, stating there might be a VIN tag in that location, there was not a stamp anywhere. So I've got a nice trailer with no VIN anywhere on it. Original owner died, the executor of his estate(his dad 80+ years old) then also died. Guy I got it from got the trailer from the original guys house that he was renovating. So the original owners(s) are all dead and gone. Guy I got it from used it a few years with a plate from his other trailer. Guy had a pole barn full of really nice old cars and tools, so I really doubt this trailer is stolen.

Looks like I'm going the homemade trailer route. I'm thinking of buying parts from harbor freight and using that receipt as "proof" that I built the trailer, I've heard they're pretty lax on their inspections. I can then return that unused stuff from harbor freight. I'm thinking of buying a winch, wheels, lights, hubs maybe, and tongue hitch part. The only thing the trailer could use right now is a couple rusty bolts replaced. The rest of it looks pretty new. I can even pass the wheels off as new. I'll also remove the faded sticks and King logo's.

Do you think replacing the stuff I've mentioned would be enough to constitute homemade?

OLDIRON

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Please don't tell me that you are going to lie to the DMV.. These wonderful people are only there to help you. Their only goal in life is to help you through this trying time, but they are always on the lookout people for who may be affiliated with a terrorist group like isis who are trying to get their boat trailer registered. That being said, I don't know what it's like in your state, but here in CA, the last time I did it, I had some receipts from a scrape yard for steel which were totally unrelated to my trailer. Then I had to bring it down someone could give it the ounce over. Then this woman came out and put a sticker on the tongue and gave me the registration for a PTI. I don't know what its like in your state, but here in California, all they care about is having a piece of paper signed by you even if it's a lie, and money. Good luck my friend.

Mod EDITTED

Last edited by a moderator:

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well if I went whole hog I might have to explain how I got my homemade trailer hot dipped for the galvanization. I'd hate to have to paint it..
Perhaps I can find another trailer and try to sell this one to someone who doesn't care about the issues it has.

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Whew...

Just found two trailer titles in my desk from other boat trailers I've had. One from an Oregon trailer that I still have, but I'm going to replace and scrap at some point. It's a rusty mess. It's a '64 Holsclaw according to the title. Guess if anyone were to ask I can say my king trailer has been completely rebuilt from the ground up, that's why it doesn't look that old. No weight or number of axles listed on title.

The other title is from a '92 ezloader.. but I can't remember what boat I sold it with, and they likely titled that trailer already. I might go play dumb and ask if this title is for the trailer I have now with a faded sticker... can say I've had so many trailers I can't remember whats what. If they say no the title has been transferred, then I'll abandon that idea.

Washington wants original receipts for all parts and raw materials used in the construction of a homebuilt trailer.And scale weight from certified scale. And if someone else made it and you bought it.... notarized bill of sale as well as receipts from that guy for parts etc that he used. Washington can be such a pain about everything under the sun!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Here in Ontario Canada all they want is their cashola. They don't even look at a photo of the trailer. It's mostly the trailer plate they are concerned with registering not the trailer. When you get another boat you just stick your plate on the trailer and carry around the old ownership unless you buy from a dealer.

ahicks

Captain
They want a receipt so they can get the TAXES right when going with a new registration. They need to establish value for that purpose! That's in addition to the price of the plate itself - and the price of that may be based on the weight of the trailer - requiring you to have a weight slip with you.

I wouldn't try to BS them. Go to them and tell them you have a small trailer with no paperwork that's been handed down for years. Maybe just used behind a lawn tractor for yard/garden work. Don't go into too much detail. Tell them you are "re-purposing" the trailer for your small inflatable and ask them for guidance regarding getting a plate for it. You might have to jump through a few hoops at that point, but you can get it done without worrying about it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I guess it depends on the state ya live in,....

Here in NYS, If I show up with a certified empty weight slip, I can register the trailer,....
Nothin' else necessary,....
They assign a vin, I pay for the gross weight I want, 'n am on my way,....
All I gotta do after is get it inspected,....
Though in my 40 years here in NYS, I've never gotten trailers inspected, 'n never been asked for the trailer's inspection papers,...

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Washington has no income tax, but they?ll get their money somehow. It?s horribly mismanaged. Our 405 toll lane was just determined to be illegal, but they just want to raise the toll anyway.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
OK guys - This has veered to a taboo subject, politics. This is a warning!

If you want to register the trailer as homemade, contact the state about meeting the requirements. It's that simple.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Well if I went whole hog I might have to explain how I got my homemade trailer hot dipped for the galvanization. I'd hate to have to paint it...
I wouldnt worry too much about that. The trailer builders aren’t buying raw steel ore and making it into trailers. That requires a significant capital investment in a forge/foundry and abunch of other stuff. Theyre buying galvanized box steel beams from a supplier. The builder just bends them to shape and bolts/welds it all together.

Last edited:

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for most everyone?s input.

The entire point of the thread was to get an idea on how to pass off a factory built trailer as homemade. The people at the license branch are not going to help you in any way shape or form try to represent a factory made trailer as homemade.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks for most everyone?s input.

The entire point of the thread was to get an idea on how to pass off a factory built trailer as homemade. The people at the license branch are not going to help you in any way shape or form try to represent a factory made trailer as homemade.

No, but they will tell what you need to reg a homemade trailer. Receipts, weight slip, etc. - Then it's up to you to supply these things.

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The internet tells me that. They have a pdf explaining it all. The question was how MUCH of the trailer do I need receipts for.

Anyway, thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Based on the online pdf, the bulk of it, if you take their pdf at face value.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ayuh,.... I guess it depends on the state ya live in,....

Here in NYS, If I show up with a certified empty weight slip, I can register the trailer,....
Nothin' else necessary,....
They assign a vin, I pay for the gross weight I want, 'n am on my way,....
All I gotta do after is get it inspected,....
Though in my 40 years here in NYS, I've never gotten trailers inspected, 'n never been asked for the trailer's inspection papers,...

I'm in NYS too and have been registering boat trailers for 50 years now. They run Jan to Dec, not like cars that are 2 year registrations. I'm not cheap. just lazy. So when the reg comes due (12/31) I just re-register it. Yeah, I could wait until May when I actually use it (and of course save money because a late reg is prorated), but I just opt to pay the full price in Dec and don't have the hassle of worrying about it later. So what, I end up paying maybe an extra 100 bucks to keep my 4 trailers registered all year long.

The re-reg papers require an inspection sticker number or they will void the renewal. I always thought they had it licked.

Last year I was on vacation and missed the mail letter re. my December renewal, so I did it online in May. NO Inspection Sticker required. AH HA....so that's how the cheap and lazy get by without inspections....!!!!

But how can that be? When they inspect motor vehicles the shop has to put the Vin # in the 'puter and it needs to accept it before the inspection sticker is granted.

I guess I just found a loophole in the law. I'll continue to get inspections because its a safety issue.

MRS

Commander
Please don't tell me that you are going to lie to the DMV.. These wonderful people are only there to help you. Their only goal in life is to help you through this trying time, but they are always on the lookout people for who may be affiliated with a terrorist group like isis who are trying to get their boat trailer registered. That being said, I don't know what it's like in your state, but here in CA, the last time I did it, I had some receipts from a scrape yard for steel which were totally unrelated to my trailer. Then I had to bring it down someone could give it the ounce over. Then this woman came out and put a sticker on the tongue and gave me the registration for a PTI. I don't know what its like in your state, but here in California, all they care about is having a piece of paper signed by you even if it's a lie, and money. Good luck my friend.

Mod EDITTED

Really the last time I tried to register a trailer here in Calif. it was horrible all they want is money. Will not listen to any thing I have to say I am born raised in Calif. and will leave when retired to Arizona where my trailer is registered cause could not register in Calif.

BTL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't speak to Washington, but when I registered a "homemade" trailer here in VA, I didn't need to prove anything. I turned in an application, the DMV gave me a VIN plate, I installed it, and then a cop came over to verify the plate was installed. That was all.

ashedd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Resolution for future concerns...

I decided to buy another junk trailer and take the VIN and title from it and transfer it to my trailer. At first I tried to find a cheap boat trailer locally off CL, but all the really cheap ones(sub $400) had no title. Wasn't very interested in doing a title search on something without a title but with a VIN. Washington won't give you a title for three years when the ownership is in doubt.

Couldn't find a cheap boat trailer, so I started looking at cheap utility trailers with titles. Found a couple but they were snapped by while I was stuck in a loop of indecision. There were a few other contenders but they were too far for me to travel, and tow back with questionable tires, tons of rust, and usually no working lights.

I decided to go to harbor freight. They had their small trailer on clearance for like $169... then I learn of the harbor freight trailer recall. No trailers will be sold until further notice! Being impulsive like I tend to be, I looked online for a trailer "kit". As luck would have it I found a small 4X4 utility trailer online for a little over $200 with FREE shipping. I bought it.