Bunk Carpet

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I am probably going to change my bunk carpet this winter. I have found that some have a rubber backing and some have an acrylic backing. Any pros or cons on either of these types?

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd imagine acrylic would be harder wearing. Rubber or foam backed would absorb water and degrade over time. It softer and less durable. Just my thoughts.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I've always used whatever carpet I found in a dumpster when I needed it,....

Last time I did bunks, I left 'em bare wood,....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looks like it doesn't really matter which one I use or if I use any at all. Thanks for the replies!

Mopie

Cadet
If you look you will find some without a backing.
It does not hold as much water as those with rubber pads or whatever. Water deteriorates the wood and may cause blisters in the glass.
Galvanized roofing nails on the sides of the wooden bunks work.
SS screws with finishing washers also work.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I've gone to bare wood and never looked back on wet carpet. The rot, corrosion, blistered bottom paint or glass blisters are gone. Carpet looks pretty but then again that's what 90% care about.

OLDIRON

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've gone to bare wood and never looked back on wet carpet. The rot, corrosion, blistered bottom paint or glass blisters are gone. Carpet looks pretty but then again that's what 90% care about.

Interesting concept. If the boat is wet and the bare wood is wet, really what difference would it make? If you float the boat on and off the bunks, I can see why bare pressure treated would work fine.