best trailer jack..

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my trailer jack wheel will not turn when I try to turn the tong, so I drag it across the concrete to the ball hitch. I see I Boats lists a bunch of new jacks, is there a way to correct my current jack wheel problem, or just bite the bullet and get a new unit? Any recommendations on a new jack?

thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Have to know what you have to advise, or in other words

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPictures.jpg

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Get a new unit but don't think higher weight rating is better. On some all a higher weight rating means is it has a lower grear ratio when you crank it. You have to turn it way more turns and it moves slower.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
All the jacks I have used seem to turn in the direction you want them to go much easier if they are cranked down putting the toung lower to the ground.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Lower the tongue of the trailer on a jack stand and then raise the trailer jack. Rotate the wheel and turn it to see if it works. If it does you have no mechanical problem. If it doesn't buy a new trailer jack.

When you push the trailer around lower the trailer jack (and tongue) so the coupler is no more than a foot off the ground. If its higher than that the jack wheel will bind, hence causing your problem.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the wheel doesnt rotate or the wheel caster doesnt pivot? two specific issues, none of which are associated with the jack. they are a foot accessory for the jack

oldjeep

Admiral
Fulton f2 with the single wide wheel would be my recommendation. My trailer originally came with an f2 dual wheel, which was a nice jack but the wheels cracked twice . Replaced with a single wheel model under warranty and it has been the best trailer jack I've owned.

randale

Cadet
Lower the tongue of the trailer on a jack stand and then raise the trailer jack. Rotate the wheel and turn it to see if it works. If it does you have no mechanical problem. If it doesn't buy a new trailer jack.

This is the test we usually use when checking if a jack is working perfectly.

Mopie

Cadet
That part needs grease too. Metal to metal bushing, left out in the rain for years. From the top to the bottom, grease it all