Square tube drop axle flip

tpothen

Seaman Apprentice
My project boat, a 1994 Wellcraft Eclipse 182s, came with a Magnum brand trailer. When on the trailer the outdrive skeg sits about 3 inches off the ground when tilted all the way up. Pulling the boat home I didn't have any issues but backing it into my driveway was a different story. My driveway has a short but fairly steep up hill and when backing in with the maximum angle to the driveway I can get I ended up having to use 3 inches worth of boards on the low side of the trailer, needless to say it took about 45 minutes of moving the blocks after every 2 feet of backing before the boat was sitting where I needed it.

My question is.. can my axle be flipped or moved to the outside of the springs. It's a 3" square tube with a drop welded on the ends.

This is what the trailer looks like. Going with bigger tires isn't an option because of the fenders.
image_280039.jpg

This is what the axle looks like.
Pacific_Axle_Drop-w.jpg

I'm not sure if the axle has a bend in it like a round axle but it's about a 3" square. Would flipping it be ok to do or would I be better off moving the axle from above the leaf springs to below?