How bad an idea is this?(on the wife Richter Scale)

[Deep6]

Recruit
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if someone can weigh in on whether this is a marginally bad idea, a majorly bad idea, for those married how bad would this be on the wife Richter Scale. 1 being....."nothings wrong"....to 10 being lawyers are coming....

I am. looking at buying this boat and am told the trailer alone is worth the price.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/nanaimo/boat/1298571356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
It's an 1977 Glasspar Seafair Sunliner, it appears in great condition solid floor and transom, no motor, but hoping to find a classic for it. Any thoughts on the boat are welcome as well..

The concerning part for me was the axle and the springs, is this surface rust or something more?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/grAUcx8OKrE9EqBH2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XTnFGnUea6pzNqgB2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AlyNmTQRUTUhsIfu1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bB4AAnWMg94eHK2G3

Is the trailer worth a 1000 CAD, as was suggested?

Special factor to consider Wife is of Latin Americsn background so please factor that into the rating :)

Thanks

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Photo one of the trailer shows that spring is toast. Which is probably why the boat is sitting lower on the starboard side in the last photo. Is the trailer worth $1000 CAD? I don't think so. But the boat and trailer together may be worth that amount. In my case it would be a 2 on the richter scale.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That boat is an 8 on the Richter scale you cannot even move it the way it is, Spring is junk and if you notice the U-bolt that holds the spring in place is broken. As well as the straps that hold the leafs in place are gone. The other spring is probably gonna need replacement, I would consider that trailer as a frame only. You will need a tow truck to even move it and If the spring is that bad I would seriously question the axle.

ahicks

Captain
Unless the wife is used to the husband bringing home projects like this, and is in possession of a solid history of following through and completing them, said wife would be perfectly justified in clobbering the husband daily until he gets rid of it.

If husband has a place to work on it - other than out in the road in front of the house - and a long history of completing large projects (like the kitchen or bath done recently) then I'm sure she wouldn't mind - unless/until she sees no progress for months.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The trailer needs springs and hardware as mentioned. The axle is also on life support with rotting inside the tube - Guaranteed. I wouldn't move the rig except on to a rollback or or flat bed trailer.

If you think papers might be served, better to keep looking.

Welcome aboard!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... That "Aluminum" trailer is really just galvanized steel,......
Bein' a single axle, it's worth maybe 1/2 what you think, 'n bein broken, it's worth more like a couple hundred,....

The boat, without a motor is a liability, not asset,....

tpenfield

Staff member
If wife is somewhat aware of your plans . . . I'd give it a 6.

If wife is NOT aware of your plans . . . 8

Best of luck to you. :pray:

[Deep6]

Recruit
Hey Fellas, I've yielded to the collective wisdom of the great folks here.....took a pass on it, and my wife....surprisingly enough was not heartbroken that we don't have a power boat yet! Thanks for the tips guys really appreciate it!!! Although you have to admit, it's a boat with some character!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in
Mind that wives prefer working bosts that don't take up all their husband's time!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For 1 K CAD would have thrown myself into the pool, sand blasting the trailer with min pressure would have left it in new cond, add new paint, 2 new springs and voila!! Pick a new or second hand OB of your brand preference. Sometimes it?s better to buy boats alone, when buying combos, OB could have hidden issues that will inevitably show up and make OB to fail soon after the combo is running on water, bad investment.

Having a wife that happens to be a real enthusiastic and pasionate boater as you would be the best watercraft investment ever, that's as long you don't crash with the house money LOL!!

Happy Boating

bigdee

Commander
It depends on the buyer. I wouldn't let a couple of springs stop me....might use that as leverage to drop price. I have bought worse than that!

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Broken springs and rust all over it are a sure sign of salt water. Add to that a missing motor and you will probably have to spend additional money to have that piece of junk hauled off to the landfill