Is my boat too light for the trailer?

jrucks

Recruit
I just boat a used trailer for my boat. The trailer is made for a heavier boat than mine. The trailer is rated for net carrying capacity of 2875lb. My boat is including motor, batteries, etc is around 1500lb. The tongue weight is at 10% right around 150lb. Do you think I will have any issues with the boat being 1300lb under the capacity of the trailer? Will it possibly bounce around or sway when being towed?

jrucks

Recruit
Information from trailer sticker:
GVWR 3420lb; GAWR all alxles 3420lb with ST205/75/R15C tires @ 50 PSI

Boat is a 1985 Lund Nisswa catalog weight 910lb with 2005 Mercury 4 stroke 60hp weight 245lb

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see any issues, other then loading and launching. If it sits the boat high you just need to get deeper in the water

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
If tongue weight is right you won't have towing issues. But if the trailer capacity far exceeds the boat weight then the trailer won't know the boat is even there. You will more than likely be towing a basically empty trailer, and yes it will bounce around.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
All due respect to All Dodge... Yes the trailer will handle it just fine. Deeper in water.. But, you WILL be bouncing the hell outta that poor boat on the road

alldodge

Staff member
All due respect to All Dodge... Yes the trailer will handle it just fine. Deeper in water.. But, you WILL be bouncing the hell outta that poor boat on the road

The thing that is best about iboats is everyone has an opinion

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
... you WILL be bouncing the hell outta that poor boat on the road
concur. Think hardtail Harley... the boat will barely compress the springs on that trailer, the tires will be the 'suspension'. I would at least look into replacing the springs...

jrucks

Recruit
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should probably resell it and look for another trailer.

Or maybe I should just convince the wife i need a a bigger boat to fit the trailer. ;)

fishrdan

Admiral
Sounds like I should probably resell it.....

Nah... You just need more essentials in your boat, 112# trolling motors bow and stern, 3-4 TM batteries, 40" LED screen (TV) fish finder, dozen rods and 4 tackle boxes, couple cases of beer, etc. Just the bare necessities :joyous:

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
You will be ok. I had a 1500# boat on a 3500# trailer and it towed great and didn't bounce at all. The best part was when I went camping and loaded the boat with gear I wasn't worried that I was over loaded . And if its an older trailer that you got the springs are most likely a little worn and not necessarily as springy as when new.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
It'll be fine.
Strap the boat down tight and hit the road.

Boat and trailer become one when strapped together.

You will do far more damage to the trailer, tires and boat if the trailer is undersized.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they sell new springs every day........