Tow rigs

Drewster2010

Cadet
Hey everyone! Looking at getting a boat this spring, a wake/ski boat (used) I?m going to need a truck to tow it. I?m looking at 03-07 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4wd 5.7s, anyone have trucks similar to this and tow a wakeboat? Mpgs? Just want to get a rough idea, or see if the cost of getting a diesel would make up for the mpgs. Thanks!

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
That truck will easily do it. I tow a waterlogged 16' deep v with a '99 f150 4 x4 no problem

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
wake specific or ski specific, or general use bow rider ???

How big?

boatman37

Lieutenant
mine is a 2013 so slightly more power but i pull my 25' boat that weighs about 8000lbs with trailer no problem at all. you should be fine

Drewster2010

Cadet
wake specific or ski specific, or general use bow rider ???

How big?
Sorry I forgot to include that info! Im leaning more towards a wake specific boat 21ish ft. I?m sure the trucks I?m looking at will tow it fine, just the mpgs I?m a bit worried about, but I know the boat on a trailer behind a truck really isn?t all that aerodynamic

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah it will pull it fine, but to determine if a diesel would be more economical in the long run, you need to factor in :

total mile per year on the truck
total miles towing
fuel price difference
maintenance cost differences
mpg towing for both trucks
mpg not towing for both trucks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not to mention, on the diesel vs gas, you need to also determine

total number of years you will keep the truck.

diesels really only become economical if you do a lot of driving, a lot of towing, and you keep the truck for more than 15 years.

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My buddy has an '09 Hemi and it'll pull my boat effortlessly. (3500# or so?) Also a very smooth and comfortable ride. However don't expect great gas mileage!

Drewster2010

Cadet
Yeah it will pull it fine, but to determine if a diesel would be more economical in the long run, you need to factor in :

total mile per year on the truck
total miles towing
fuel price difference
maintenance cost differences
mpg towing for both trucks
mpg not towing for both trucks.

Yeah the truck would only really be used for towing the boat, I have a car that’s my daily driver. So I’m sure The 1500 will be fine, I can?t imagine the boat and trailer weighing more than 4/5k max. So the truck can certainly handle it.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
I have an '07 1500 Hemi with the towing package. It tows my boats effortlessly, but fuel economy is bad when doing so, about 10 MPG. And my boats are smaller/lighter than what you're considering.

spartyon8

Cadet
My 4.6L 2010 Tundra towed a car trailer with a 68 Ford Torino on it through the APP mountains without a hiccup. The mpgs were less than 10 though!

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
Tow capacity of pickups vary greatly. Engine, Axle ratio, cooling etc all go into what the truck is rated to tow. Best practice is to have a truck tow capacity that exceeds your towed weight by 10%.
A 21' wake boat with a full tank and all the toys can easily exceed #5000. Find the boat you want and estimate the real world towed weight. Then buy a truck that can handle the weight. Use the online towing guides that each truck makers post. Be sure to know the exact specs of the truck you are looking to purchase.

Drewster2010

Cadet
Tow capacity of pickups vary greatly. Engine, Axle ratio, cooling etc all go into what the truck is rated to tow. Best practice is to have a truck tow capacity that exceeds your towed weight by 10%.
A 21' wake boat with a full tank and all the toys can easily exceed #5000. Find the boat you want and estimate the real world towed weight. Then buy a truck that can handle the weight. Use the online towing guides that each truck makers post. Be sure to know the exact specs of the truck you are looking to purchase.

I know many things factor into trucks towing capacity, the issue is I’m going to be buying the truck before I’ll be buying a boat. So I’m trying to get the truck part figured out first. I know I could step up to a 3/4 ton but am afraid the mpg empty is going to be horrible

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
My advice is to buy the boat first then buy whatever tow vehicle that fits that need. Buying the truck first means you either "over-buy" or "under-buy". You don't know for certain at this point what you will end up with for a boat so why lock yourself in with a truck that is too big or too small (capacity-wise).

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
my 03 4x4 cummins single rear axle got 16 towing the below boat. My 06 in the pic, 99% same truck but dually gets 14. Those numbers are same differential not towing.

Stingrayaxe

Seaman
Buying the truck first will then limit your boat choices. Based on the limited info I would look for a truck with a #6000 limit to be safe. Mpg will be what it is.

Drewster2010

Cadet
My advice is to buy the boat first then buy whatever tow vehicle that fits that need. Buying the truck first means you either "over-buy" or "under-buy". You don't know for certain at this point what you will end up with for a boat so why lock yourself in with a truck that is too big or too small (capacity-wise).

I understand buying the boat first. Issue is I am going to need said truck in order to pickup the boat. So it?s kinda a difficult way of doing things

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I understand buying the boat first. Issue is I am going to need said truck in order to pickup the boat. So it’s kinda a difficult way of doing things
If you are buying from a marina or boat dealer they will deliver it free or for a reasonable fee. Finding a truck will be a couple day process at best provided you at least have a brand in mind. Use Car Gurus to spec what you want (new or used) and the radius would travel to get it. When you have the boat, go to the sellers you previously located. Bought my last SUV that way and it saved time and money.

boatman37

Lieutenant
My 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi QC with 3.55s gets about 8 MPG pulling my 8000lb boat/trailer. I get about 15-16 MPG empty around town