Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tow rigs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tow rigs


  • #2
    That truck will easily do it. I tow a waterlogged 16' deep v with a '99 f150 4 x4 no problem

    Comment


    • #3
      wake specific or ski specific, or general use bow rider ???

      How big?

      Medford, WI


      Comment


      • #4
        mine is a 2013 so slightly more power but i pull my 25' boat that weighs about 8000lbs with trailer no problem at all. you should be fine

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by roscoe View Post
          wake specific or ski specific, or general use bow rider ???

          How big?

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah it will pull it fine, but to determine if a diesel would be more economical in the long run, you need to factor in :

            total mile per year on the truck
            total miles towing
            fuel price difference
            maintenance cost differences
            mpg towing for both trucks
            mpg not towing for both trucks.
            Medford, WI


            Comment


            • #7
              not to mention, on the diesel vs gas, you need to also determine

              total number of years you will keep the truck.

              diesels really only become economical if you do a lot of driving, a lot of towing, and you keep the truck for more than 15 years.



              Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

              1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

              Past Boats
              1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
              2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
              1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

              What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

              Comment


              • #8
                My buddy has an '09 Hemi and it'll pull my boat effortlessly. (3500# or so?) Also a very smooth and comfortable ride. However don't expect great gas mileage!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by roscoe View Post
                  Yeah it will pull it fine, but to determine if a diesel would be more economical in the long run, you need to factor in :

                  total mile per year on the truck
                  total miles towing
                  fuel price difference
                  maintenance cost differences
                  mpg towing for both trucks
                  mpg not towing for both trucks.
                  Last edited by Drewster2010; September 25th, 2017, 12:47 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have an '07 1500 Hemi with the towing package. It tows my boats effortlessly, but fuel economy is bad when doing so, about 10 MPG. And my boats are smaller/lighter than what you're considering.
                    Bob, Seneca Lake NY
                    '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
                    '94 Grumman Fish'N Fun pontoon, 40 HP Merc
                    Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
                    Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      My 4.6L 2010 Tundra towed a car trailer with a 68 Ford Torino on it through the APP mountains without a hiccup. The mpgs were less than 10 though!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tow capacity of pickups vary greatly. Engine, Axle ratio, cooling etc all go into what the truck is rated to tow. Best practice is to have a truck tow capacity that exceeds your towed weight by 10%.
                        A 21' wake boat with a full tank and all the toys can easily exceed #5000. Find the boat you want and estimate the real world towed weight. Then buy a truck that can handle the weight. Use the online towing guides that each truck makers post. Be sure to know the exact specs of the truck you are looking to purchase.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stingrayaxe View Post
                          Tow capacity of pickups vary greatly. Engine, Axle ratio, cooling etc all go into what the truck is rated to tow. Best practice is to have a truck tow capacity that exceeds your towed weight by 10%.
                          A 21' wake boat with a full tank and all the toys can easily exceed #5000. Find the boat you want and estimate the real world towed weight. Then buy a truck that can handle the weight. Use the online towing guides that each truck makers post. Be sure to know the exact specs of the truck you are looking to purchase.

                          I know many things factor into trucks towing capacity, the issue is I’m going to be buying the truck before I’ll be buying a boat. So I’m trying to get the truck part figured out first. I know I could step up to a 3/4 ton but am afraid the mpg empty is going to be horrible

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My advice is to buy the boat first then buy whatever tow vehicle that fits that need. Buying the truck first means you either "over-buy" or "under-buy". You don't know for certain at this point what you will end up with for a boat so why lock yourself in with a truck that is too big or too small (capacity-wise).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Sign up today
                              my 03 4x4 cummins single rear axle got 16 towing the below boat. My 06 in the pic, 99% same truck but dually gets 14. Those numbers are same differential not towing.
                              1979 Carver Montego 2357 | 260 Mercruiser upgraded to Alpha | 2006 Nissan 15hp kicker

                              Girls cry and boys fart in front of friends, but girls fart and boys cry in front of true friends.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X