I think I may have the wrong tires on my trailer

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought a 18' Celebrity with a single axel Shoreland'r trailer that has Loadstars ST205/75R14 on it. The Carrying Capacity of the tire I just noticed is 1760 lbs. it is a C range. So 3520 lbs total. The boat weighs 2900. It has the Mercruiser 5.0 Chevy in it and not sure if that is included in the boats weight. I don't know how much the trailer weighs but I assume I am pushing that limit. Does it sound like the right tire for that trailer/boat combination?

I want to be sure because I bought the boat yesterday and on the way home on the freeway I had a blow out. Complete tread separation but I had noticed an unevenness in the tire that blew while following the seller to the boat ramp for the sea trial. Looked like a slipped belt to me but I thought I'd at least get it home. Nope.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Seemed pretty new. There was no spare and the rim did not look good after the blowout so I had to buy a replacement tire/wheel. Found exactly what was on there. So I bought 2. New ones are going on the trailer. Old but plenty of tread will be the spare. I won't be without a spare again. That sucked. Buy a boat and have to leave it on the side of the interstate to drive into town to look for a spare. No fun.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The weight includes the motor.

However trailer is about 900#

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
the new goodyear endurance trailer tire has a has rating of 2040lb for the ST20575R14 load range D. the ST215/75R14 has a rating of 2200lb also load range D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Trailer should be a tandem axle, as boat and trailer are over the 3500# limit of the axle, unless its a 6- lug, 5000# axle. Then the tires are too light.

For comparison sake, my 19' searay weighed 3000# dry, the tandem trailer weighed 1200#, fully loaded with gear, fuel, etc, the rig weighed 5300#

There were two 3500# axles

Maclin

Admiral
I apologize, I had read too quickly I guess and thought the 3520# was from a scale for some reason. If the boat dry is really 2900# then in total the trailer itself is a little under-spec along with the tires. Not enough safety factor there. That may explain why the tire was already wearing badly. Next step up on load rating for tires would help be safer for now, I think I would get it to a scale and see what it really is.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well some of he mystery may be solved. I've been sweating this trailer weight but it's right on the trailers title.Face Palm! So here's the math.
Trailer is 610 lbs + boat is 2900 lbs = 3510 lbs
Max capacity of tires for the pair is 3520 lbs. So 10 lbs to spare.
But add a full tank of gas @ 23 gallons x 6 lbs = 138 lbs and I'm 128 lbs over tire capacity.
Gear weight is minimal.
So is there wiggle room on the capacity? Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks guys

Maclin

Admiral
Just an opinion, I think there is safety factor room in the axle and trailer capacities, but not in the tires. Some of the weight will be on the tongue, up to you.

HinesVernon

Cadet
Just an opinion, I think there is safety factor room in the axle and trailer capacities, but not in the tires. Some of the weight will be on the tongue, up to you.
Could you elaborate on that point? How does this effect the rough math, generally speaking?

​I am trying to get a better handle on this stuff before I get my trailer.

ahicks

Captain
Well some of he mystery may be solved. I've been sweating this trailer weight but it's right on the trailers title.Face Palm! So here's the math.
Trailer is 610 lbs + boat is 2900 lbs = 3510 lbs
Max capacity of tires for the pair is 3520 lbs. So 10 lbs to spare.
But add a full tank of gas @ 23 gallons x 6 lbs = 138 lbs and I'm 128 lbs over tire capacity.
Gear weight is minimal.
So is there wiggle room on the capacity? Or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks guys

Running equipment, any equipment, right at capacity leaves no insurance for when "things happen". If this were a short run (just a few miles from ramp to home) you might be OK. You might still be OK if the tires are brand new (not likely). That's new as in purchase date, not tread wear. The longer the trip and the older the tires, the more exposure you have to trouble. I would put MUCH heavier tires on it prior to leaving on a trip of any distance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
My tire capacity was about 500# higher than what I needed for most trips.
But when taking a 10 day trip to the wilderness, there is more stuff to haul, which put me right at the tire capacity.

But when on vacation, dad said he had enough with his remote Canadian 30' camper, and sold it to a guy on the spot.
I had to empty dads camper and his deck box, and haul it all home in my boat.

I was so happy I had just replaced my tires and gone up to load range D.

Point is, for the few extra dollars, go up to the next higher load range.
Gives you a stronger tire, and you never know when you may need the extra capacity.