Question about towing with bumper hitch

mondakman

Recruit
Hi all,

Long-time reader, very infrequent poster, but constantly wowed with the information shared here.This appears to be a fairly common question from other threads, but I have a fairly unique situation that I'd like to hear from you all on.

Picked up a 2002 Chevy S10 that I'm going to tow with. 4.3l v6- max tow capacity 5500 lbs. Bumper tow rating-- 3500 lbs, 350 lb max tongue weight. The truck was already equipped with a bumper mount receiver hitch (literally a receiver hitch bolted to the bumper under where the ball would traditionally go-- not a traditional receiver hitch, thus the uniqueness). Example Maxxhaul 70036. I added a tranny cooler, so no worries there. Checked the bolts where the bumper attaches; they appear to have a minor amount of surface rust, but otherwise are in good shape...I live in a very dry climate. 99% of the towing is on paved roads. Only gravel is for lake access.

My current boat is a 1979 Starcraft Supersport 16 ft deep v, 1978 Mercury 80 hp, with a EZ Loader trailer (not sure what year, but I'd imagine around 1979). My math, based on online searches-- boat- 650 lbs. motor- 250 lbs. trailer- 600 lbs. plus all decking, steering accessories, gear, trolling motor, and 10 gallons of gas- 700 lbs. Total weight- 2200 lbs., which I consider to be on the high-end.

My question-- Do I need to upgrade to a frame mounted hitch (around $130 new for a one, i.e. 4000 lbs- 400 lb tongue, plus having to remove the bumper to install) in order to avoid bending/damaging the bumper with this load, or will the current set-up of the bumper bolted receiver hitch be adequate?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
With a 2200 lb load (plus trailer ?) call it 3K you don't need to upgrade. since your bumper hitch can go to 3500 lbs. Your choice.if you do want to upgrade.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as Ted pointed out, no need to replace currently
no need to remove bumper to install a hitch
most u-pull-it salvage yards sell hitches for $25 - plenty of S-10's get the front mashed and end up in the salvage yard

bigdee

Commander
No worries. I had a 2003 S-10 Blazer and pulled a pontoon,18' ski boat and occasionally a car hauler with just the bumper hitch. Never had an issue and did not have a tranny cooler either. Car had over 140k when I traded it.

Alumarine

Captain
I think he said the total package with trailer is 2200 lbs which sounds about right for that boat/trailer.

You should have no trouble at all with the bumper mount as long as the bolts holding the receiver to the bumper are ample.
If not, you could remove it and just use the bumper.

bigdee

Commander
The only issue with the bumper is the height of the ball is a little high....that may explain why someone put the receiver on it. Pictures would help to see what you have.

Tinman2809

Cadet
I had a 96 s10 blazer...car was indestructible till I got hit In the rear...youll be fine

From what I understand, most smaller trucks have a safety factor in their towing capacities. You can't trust bigger trucks to have a safety factor because they're sold on there towing capacities and they always want to out-do the other guys. You're well under your towing capacity now. How far are you planning to haul this thing?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Personally, I would upgrade to a frame mounted hitch. You can likely find one on Craigslist or a salvage yard for $30.