Trailer Wheel/Hub Size Upgrade

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The trailer I just got with the boat is a 1976 Shore Lander tandem axle. The trailer tag says tire size should be either 7.75 x 14 6 ply or 7.00 x 15 8 ply for heavier weight. The lug pattern is 5 on 4 1/2 The wheels are mismatched and as old as the trailer. One of the tires was also as old as the trailer. It appears that 14 inch trailer wheels and tires are getting harder to find especially in this lug pattern. Plus if I went with 15 inch, that will reduce the wheel rotation speed. The trailer load rating is 5,000lbs with the rated 14 inch wheels and 6,500lbs with the 15 inch wheels. The boat is a 76 Sea Ray SRV Overnighter with Hardtop so weight is listed as 3,600lbs. I am looking for recommendations on upgrading this trailer with new wheels and tires as I will be towing it about 1,100 miles next Spring. Should I stay with the 5 x 4.5 or change the hubs (if new ones are available) and go to something else? What is the best modern tire size and load rating in either the 14 or 15 inch wheels?

Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
5x4.5 is a very common size since it is the standard trailer size, even walmart sells em

14 or 15 wont matter as there are even 13" wheel/tire combinations that would work for your application

And your tire rpm issue is a non issue. I towed my Cruisers from wisconsin to florida on 13" tires rated at 1780# each. Boat is 3600# like yours, however i had another boat sitting on top, as well as about 1000# of stuff in the boat and did it at 80mph. Same speed I tow 8" wheels at under the other trailers

Your axle spacing and fender size should be your governing determination for wheel and tire size. Not an unfounded concern or tire RPM

ST205/75/14 C tires would be more than sufficient for your boat/trailer

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just remember the higher the boat is off the ground, the further you have to back down the ramp.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Keep it simple sailor...
Don't think about changing hubs unless you already know the hub bearing and seal sizes.
My old Shoreline trailer had an odd combination of inner and outer bearing sizes which mad it very difficult to get replacement hubs in any lug pattern.
(I eventually replaced the axle.)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Before deciding on hubs or tires or wheels, inspect the springs, axles and brakes.

If they need replacing, its often cheaper and easier to do it as a complete unit.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Will be checking the wheel bearings and repacking them if all looks good. Looks like I will order a full set of ST205/75/14 C if all else looks good. Just need to find a nice looking trailer wheel in 5 x 4.5

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
again, nearly all 5- lug trailers are in a 5x4.5

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
End of the story. I went with 5 on 4.5 new aluminum mag wheels 15 x 6, put on new dexter hubs, drums, wheel bearings, bearing buddies, and backing plates, and will be mounting Carlise Radial Trail HD ST205/75R15LRD next week... Replaced all brake lines with new and rebuilding the Dico Model 10 Surge brake controller with new master cylinder and surge shocks..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check your axle. On some of those older trailers, any water can seep inside the axle-to-spindle joint and can cause failure of the axle (under the boat weight, of course). Newer trailer axles allow the water to drain.

Also, as you probably know now, a lot of new trailers come with 14" tires. They and your bolt pattern are very standard and avail.