The flying boat towable Video

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I personnally would not do that, but it looks like a lot of fun.One downside I see is, what would happen if that flying tube flipped over in the air? The rider would hit the water pretty hard.

toneeees

Administrator
I personnally would not do that, but it looks like a lot of fun.One downside I see is, what would happen if that flying tube flipped over in the air? The rider would hit the water pretty hard.

I agree.

I also wonder how they get back on the water without smashing their face into the tube.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
With the number of years behind me, and load of responsibilities I now have, I wouldn't. But I'm sure my son and his friends would.

Tnstratofam

Commander
That is crazy! I would try it, but then again it combines my two favorite things. The lake, and flying. Wooohooo what a blast!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Wonder what happens to the towee when the tower chops the throttle. I can envision the flyer zooming over the towing boat until it runs out of towline. That's assuming it doesn't crash into the boat. :eek: There may be more than a few reasons why these aren't on the market any more.

southkogs

Staff member
Wonder what happens to the towee when the tower chops the throttle ...
^^^^ knowing what my brother, dad and I did to each other on skis ... the temptations with that thing would have been overwhelming.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I could get talked into giving it a try .. Knowing my luck I would probably go head on with a low flying pelican ... :eek: :lol:

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have done it on a similar tube and its scarey but fun. If you fall off your hurting. As for the landing and such, towing this thing requires an experienced boat driver and an empty lake.

tpenfield

Staff member
Remember the 'Kite Tube' from a few years ago (maybe more years than that) ???

Quite a few folks were seriously injured, paralyzed, etc. Also some deaths . . .

It seems when things did become unstable and flipped the kite/tube, the combined impact of speed and height was such that injury (or worse) was common.

those things disappeared from the market after about a 1 year stint.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I clock in at 6'2" and about 385. (Think line backer) So.....they're going to need:

1. Bigger tube
2. Faster tow vehicle

UncleWillie

Captain
It has or more properly HAD more than a few problems.
The design with the Pilot Above the wing made stability very marginal.
The speed window between where it lifted off and where it became unstable was well less than 5 mph.
If the boat driver way not extremely accurate on the throttle and the observer didn't call out the speed adjustments. It ended badly.
The person on the tube needed to understand aerodynamic stability, Weight and Balance, or it ended badly.
Add any alcohol to the mix and it ended badly. Typically like This.

Having said all that, I think there is a market for a well designed flyable towable.
A single seat cockpit towable with a modified Kite Surfing Canopy above it, sounds like something more reasonable.
A couple of toggle lines to the canopy for the rider would allow control of the flight, Left, Right, Up and Down.
For example, if the rider did not pull the control lines, it would not take off, and it he let go in flight, it would land.