Paddle Board Recommendations (SUP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They wife has decided she wants a paddle board. She is a beginner but is pretty enthused about it. I want to find her a SUP but don't want to pay $500 plus. I don't see why I can't find a decent one for half that. And she is a beginner but, I don't want a board that would be obsolete after one summer either. Do you guys have any recommendations. Either specific or in general such as length or style or whatever. Maybe a brand and model recommendation? I know little about them so this is why I am asking.

alldodge

Staff member
So long as you don't get one made out of all star foam you will be ok. Most are at least 8 feet long, most 10.

Our dock got a brand new Obrian for $50 from the marina because someone leaned it against a truck that was running and next to the exhaust pipe. The exhaust melted it some on the bottom. I ground down the ruff areas and had some left over foam and epoxy resin and all good.

It was used several times, but now it just hangs at the dock finger for anyone that wants to use it. Its takes up way to much room on a boat so it doesn't get much use

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Biggest question to ask is how is it getting to the water? Vehicle rack? Riding aboard a boat that you are towing? Do you have a lake house and are storing it there?

From there, determine the size you want. Not just where it will fit in transit but what you are willing to carry to the water from there.

I live on a lake and have 2 10' pelican specials from a sporting goods store that I bought at the end of the season on sale for 250-300 each and came with straps and foam pads for the roof of my truck. They serve our needs just fine, but as All Dodge mentioned, they dont come on the boat with us as they are too much to work around, even on the 25 foot pontoon. If they see the water while we are on the boat, it is because my nieces decided to paddle them to the sand bar instead of hopping on the pontoon.

If transportation is an issue, there are now some really well made inflatables that perform on par with the pelicans that I have. That could be an option.

Look for end of season sales or 2nd hand ones from marketplaces online.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome info guys. You are getting down the path to finding a board. I am looking at used. A great end of season sale would be good too. Is Pelican a decent brand?

I have a truck with a 6.5' bed and it has a canoe (ladder) rack as well that I put a 17' canoe on. I don't live on or near water so storing it on site isn't an option but transportation shouldn't be a problem.

What is "Star Foam"? I have been shying away from "inflatable boards" because I just figured they were fancy pool toys.....but maybe not so???

alldodge

Staff member
My misspelling its styrofoam, the white hard foam used to pack stuff

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have had 2 pelican brand boards for 2 1/2 years now. The only issue I ran into with one of them was a screw that holds the bungee tie down in pulled loose. My niece was getting back on the board after her on water yoga attempt failed and used the bungee to help pull herself up and it pulled out. I personally dont put that on pelican, rather improper use. A little 5200 and a slightly larger screw and I was up and running.

Fins are easily replaceable, all metal is stainless holding on handles, fins and such. They have served my needs just fine, but I am by no means a professional. I don't like spending over $300 for anything that doesn't have a motor on it.

alldodge

Staff member
I don't like spending over $300 for anything that doesn't have a motor on it.

:pound: My old mind just went down the wrong road, but I'm going to be good :rolleyes: :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.