Tubing or kneeboarding with a 40 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew156

Recruit
I have a 17 foot flat bottom Carolina skiff with a Yamaha 50 hp both are form 1999. I was wondering if I would be able to tube or kneeboard on it?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It will probably pull those toys as they don't have that much drag; not like trying to pop up a skier or wakeboarder. But, with a flat bottom the boat will likely get pulled around by the rider. I know when pulling a wakeboarder with a jet ski the boarder has enough pull if he digs in hard to pull the back of the jet ski to the side. It makes for a funny feeling when your driving. I would think your boat would be even worse since a ski does have somewhat of a Vee hull.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Both scenarios will work, but to work spot on need to prop your motor to rev towards its max wot rpm range factory stated as loaded. If current installed prop is found not doing its homework right will need to go towards a prop maximization, to a less pitch prop from current one. With added water drag out motor, hole shot will benefit.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you wont get much speed, however should be fine. no different than tubing or kneeboarding behind a Forester with a 40hp (did that for a few years)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Would go fast enough to waterski as well. Of course that statement will be mocked by those who think you need more than 200hp to do any water sport. I didn't say it would provide a tournament tow, just basic recreational water skiing

It is far easier for a 17 ft boat with a 40 - 50 hp engine to pull a skier out of the water than a Seadoo PWC with 120Hp. The boats wider transom is the reason

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Skied behind our old wood 16 foot runabout for years. 28 hp evinrude.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For best water performance don't pretend to ski or pull water toys at same time while heavily loaded though. Prop well that 40 and have fun..

Happy Boating

snoeproe

Recruit
I learned to ski (back in the 80's) behind our old 16' lund that had a 35hp Johnson on it. Dad even skid behind that boat back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.