Towing Multiperson Tube

briangcc

Commander
Got a question that I think I know the answer to but I want to double check....

Just purchase an Airhead Live Wire 3-person tube for the kiddos this coming summer behind my current boat - Chap 19H20 Ski & Fish. Normally I'd tow a single person tube from the ski eye in the back. Would I need to switch to a bridle and connect up to the transom eyes for the new tube? Or would the ski eye in back suffice?

Anyone else own one and have any pointers? Going to be my wife and my two oldest - 7 & 5 (when its warm enough!!) on board so it's going to be a slow ride.

**Boat is shrink wrapped so I can't poke my head in the engine compartment to see just how reinforced the ski eye is.

***FWIW...I think the bridle is needed...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I've towed four kids on a big tube by the ski ring no issue.

harringtondav

Commander
Wait until they grow up before you worry. I've tugged three dead boats on my ski ring without problems.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Get a bridle. If the tube submarines, it will pull the ski eye from the transom

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As with any large inflatable banana being towed behind a boat, need to pump it up to it's max working pressure recommendation for a smoother water ride and slide. If used under inflated the water drag under it will be increased notoriously, worse if motor is underpowered or propped wrong....

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1220212A.JPG Views:	1 Size:	161.3 KB ID:	10717323

Happy Boating

briangcc

Commander
Good advice Sea Rider but I more than likely won't be going over idle speed. My kids are that young that I don't need to scar them for life...yet!

**We are already planning on a bridle, new rated rope, and a 12V HV compressor/inflator for the tube.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Good advice Sea Rider but I more than likely won't be going over idle speed. My kids are that young that I don't need to scar them for life...yet!

Works for any speed whether idle or full hammer down, unless the kids wants a softer comfy surface to sit on. LOL!!

Happy Boating

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interesting question, that I've never thought about. On my last boat, 2008 Searay, we would tow 2 single tubes, each with one adult. The ropes were attached to the middle tow eye just above the swim platform. Did that for 8 years and worked just fine.

briangcc

Commander
Both boys who would be riding in the tube are maybe 100lbs combined. My admiral weighs...I ain't answering that as I don't need a frying pan to the noggin! But needless to say combined is well under a rather plump adult. And this would be at idle speed so no fast, hard launches or turns trying to whip someone off. Probably be perfectly fine under this scenario for a while.

That being said, I'm also the entertainment director for the family vacation with bunches of teeny boppers who love to tube so weight, and speed, and turns all go up.

Bought a bridle and a tow rope rated for up to 6 person tubes. Better safe than sorry.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been towing and riding tubes for 20 years. I've been involved with up to 3 behind one boat, all with roughly 200 pound males on them. I've never used nor seen used anything but the towing eye. I've never had any problem with 3 different boats. Just be sure the bolts holding it on stay tight.

briangcc

Commander
Just going to provide closure to this....

The 6 person bridle worked fine. Yes overkill but considering eventually my kids will grow up and want to go faster it seemed like a smart investment. I also purchased an Obrien High Pressure 12v Inflator (clips directly to the battery) and boy does that sucker inflate a tube in no time flat. **My cousin borrowed it for his 4 person tube and wanted to know where I bought it as it was much quicker than the one he bought.

No worries about the tube submarining as the way it tows it doesn't level out until its up on plane. I call this a feature and that may change if we turn the tube around so that instead of sitting in it, you kneel. Dunno, my kiddos are too short yet to try this.

Kids enjoyed the tube although only a few minutes at just about idle was good enough for them....which considering their age was good enough for me. We'll certainly get more use from all the gear in the coming years.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am glad it all worked out ok. One thing to keep in mind with the tow rope that I ran into with mine...

I started using one of those thick 6 person ropes to be on the safe side. I did notice if it was underweight, tension on the rope was an issue. There was way too much weight and flex in the rope for the ride to be comfortable for anyone, including me as a driver. The rope was constantly dipping into the water and spraying the riders in the face. More importantly, it would stretch on a turn and then retract when going straight, causing the tube to turn to the side, then catch as the boat was at speed, yanking the boat and whiplashing my riders. I downgraded to a more suitable, lighter weight rope with minimal elasticity and the problem was solved. Just something to keep an eye on.