Tube towing question

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
I got a new towable (Super Big Mable) for this season. I was towing my little guy yesterday and it seems like the bow always stayed pretty high. I was able to see ok, but still running up and seemed to be plowing through the water. Should I run my trim tabs down a bit to help compensate for that or will that actually make it more difficult to pull? Boat is an 18' Maxum with a 3.0 mercruiser. Same question for if I wanted to pull a skier out of the water...tabs down to start? Been boating for a couple of years but kinda new to the pulling part of things.

Thanks!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
drive trimmed all the way down?
pulling tube from the lower transom ties? and not the ski tow ring, correct?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Also, is your little guy gonna be tubing at a speed where your boat will typically be on plan? Tabs down may help, but drive position and speed are primary factors here. When ours were real little, it was a bit of a balancing act between acceleration, speed, and what the kid could handle (or what the Admiral would allow)

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Yep, drive all the way down. And yes, tow connected to the tow ring in the center of the transom. I was going about 20 yesterday. He's 10 and was asking for more but it was pretty busy out so wanted to make sure we weren't going to nuts.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Is his tubing speed 20mph?, will your boat plane at the same speed? We have been in the same situation - increased speed, boat planed, son was happy to go as fast as I would dare. There were times the tube took flight (scarey for us, but he loved it - our daughters not so much)

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Out here now and the tabs down just a bit helped out quite a bit. Cruising along at about 22 or so and he was loving it. My other tube said not to go over 20mph which is why I was hanging around that mark..assumed it was the standard safety speed... bu tnew tube doesn't say anything like that...or I just haven't seen it yet.