Day Sailer 1?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cl has a Day Sailer 1 for only $300 on a trailer. It all looks pretty rough, no sails but looks like there is a mast. What do you think? Pass for something cleaner with sails, etc? Or go for the project aspect? But now, aren't we back to basically building a boat from nearly scratch? Hmm...

tpenfield

Staff member
Sails can be expensive . . . So you may spend a lot more $$$$ getting it rigged.

You best bet is to find a small sailboat that is complete, but maybe not in the best condition. You can do the rest.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup, a quick search says a set of sails alone could cost like $750 minimum. Best to find a complete boat.
Do you think I should go for a clean Sun fish? I'd hard to spend $1500 when a bigger boat can be had for similar cost... but I got a line on a trade. My fishing boat for the sunfish. I don't know....

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pictures, please! Then we can all duke it out to decide what is best for you!

southkogs

Staff member
First sailboat for you if I remember right - you can find a complete boat ready to go for under $1,000 in most areas. It'll be 15' or smaller, but a good starter boat. Sunfish style boat is a good starter, but you'll be ready for something else by the end of the season if not sooner (unless you have other boats).

Learning curve on a sloop is gonna' be more steep, but if you can find Capri or Oday in a small sloop - those would be great.

I like the Cat rig boats for beginners, but generally those are under 12'. If ya' find one though - look close.