Sailing Lessons

taggy

Seaman
I have been a power boater for many years, but I have been recently thinking about getting into sailing. I live just north of Tampa Bay, Florida. Can anyone recommend a good sailing school in the area? I have been looking on the web, but some of them seem more like a fun day for someone on vacation than a legitimate training school.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know how close one of the Offshore schools is to you, but Steve Colgate literally wrote the book on sailing instruction.
I mean we all have read his book at the beginning of our sailing careers. You can't find a better school.
http://www.offshoresailing.com/

taggy

Seaman
I spoke with them today. Sounds good, but a little costly. $1300 for 3 days of lessons.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You should look for any colleges in the area that offer extension classes. When I was in school I used to be a sailing instructor at the university I attended.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ii first learned how to sail with the YMCA when I was 7 years old. Not sure if there are YMCAs any more!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I took my ASA class at Lake Fairview marina in Orlando. Had a blast, Steve was a great guy. if you contact them they run a free sail day once a month where you can get out on a couple boats to see if sailing is for you. they sail it you ride kind of thing. I know there are a couple ASA classes run in the Tampa area, but no personal experience with them. The Offshore sail school sounds great but I agree they are spendy. I was considering them for my next couple classes but they really couldn't justify the extra expense over the ASA class rates other than to say the ASA class is for profit. Orl is a bit of a ride for you I know, but the class is only a couple weekends. Only thing I didn't love about it was that the class was on a small lake instead of open water however for soloing that was nice.

taggy

Seaman
I found a place in New Port Richey (very close) that offers lessons by the boat, not per person up to 4 people. No certificate, but that's not what is important to me at this point. I can have my wife and one of my sons along for under $500. I'm excited. Not sure what kind of boat it is, but it's big.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great, Taggy. Let us know how your sailing is going.
Many of us sailors take pleasure in hearing about the experiences of new sailors.
It reminds us of the wonder and excitement we felt, (and still feel) when we were learning how to make wind and water move us.