Heel angle on my ODay 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I realize there are a few parameters to this question which make the answer difficult, but...

What is the Max heel angle of my ODay 17 ?
Got a bit breezy out there the other day.. really had her moving along!
Curious now, how close to max I may have been...

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Okay, inclination (or so I have learned) of no return..

Well, have to tell you..
Today I found you can actually dip the gunwale and return upright!
Yes, it was an Oh My experience!

Heavy gust on a tack and she leaned..
Maybe to tight on the mainsheet..
Maybe breaking the main loose saved her..
Maybe she righted herself..
All thoughts once the adrenaline slowed down a bit..

The befores and afters made for an awesome day of learning the boat.
I have to say, even that experience (of which I prefer reduce in counts) taught us quite a bit about this boat!

southkogs

Staff member
I don't know the answer to your question even in regards to the boat I usta' sail. We dipped the gunwale a few times - most unintentionally and a couple 'cuz we were trying to run hard - and she always came back up. She did turtle one time, but we had some of the crew on the leeward side while tacking ... oops.

The only thing I remember about the Capri (we had a little O'Day for a week or three and got rid of it), was that when it was full down the centerboard could cause your heel to increase as opposed to helping you keep upright. It would almost act like a rudder forcing you over. Pull it partially back up (give it a little "rake") and that would solve the issue.

Sailboats are their own teachers sometimes. They can be fun, but harsh instructors :)

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
the o'day 17 isn't going to be quite as good as a full keel boat but you (as you have seen) should be able to dip the gunwale in as long as your ballast (you and crew) are on the waindward side ready to steady things.

on a keel boat we heeled it over then had a crew hang out on the boom and still didn't some close to capsize.

glad to see you got an O'day. Had mine out Sat as well.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
@ Southkogs: Very interesting! Believe I understand what your saying. Heeled, the upside of the centerboard now has 'lift'. Less mass then the downside. Never thought of that and will be an interesting experiment when the opportunity arises. Truth is, as I brought her back to the mooring, I found the centerboard had risen. Surprised me, though it shouldn't have, just didn't think that way. We had so much speed at points, running flat, the kicker lifted and set mid height. I wasn't expecting this and will lift the kicker the next time out. Or maybe not and use it as a reminder to check the centerboard.. Have a bit more to learn about this boat and love having folks to bounce things off of!

olddawgsrule

Seaman
@ Avenger79; Part of the issue was Crew (wifey) not getting over. Not her fault by any means. There's a bit to cross over and that dam gust caught us both off guard. Now we now to watch the centerboard. Never sailed one with a lift board before. If we had dropped it full, it probably won't have happen has rapidly as it did. As I said, learning this boat. Thank you for the response and advise!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
olddawg - my wife hates to heel as well. will have to break her in easy. what I did Sat was just use the main sail. left the Jib on the deck. pretty soon she was taking the helm, all about comfort. when we were in FL I took her out a couple times and we would get caught by those surprise gusts, she didn't like it at all. I couldn't convince her to stay on the windward side. she didn't like all the moving around and definitely didn't like being "up in the air" on the high side. getting better now days. LOL

use the board all down when going towards the wind. When reaching (90 degrees away from wind) have the board down about 25-30 %
this is the first boat I have sailed with a board as well. it is different than a keel but interesting.

Last edited:

olddawgsrule

Seaman
And again.. Thank you!
I am going to experiment with keel height.
This sounds very interesting!

I ask you Avenger.. You have the Jib line catching on the mast mount?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
do you mean the halyard or the sheet? the halyard is tied off on the mast. the sheets run through cam buckles on cabin sole

sailing does seem very interesting and fun. every time out I feel a little more confident.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I do mean the sheets.. Maybe we're just not tacking well enough on the Jib yet, but the slack in the line is getting caught on the mast base. Seems there should be deck cam to hold it clear.. I ran her solo 2 Sundays back and it caught on every tack (well almost every). Since my experience comes from the 'front seat' (Jibman), I've never run into this before.. With my wife running Jib, it still happens just not as much and she's free to step up and free it. Kinda tough running solo, pain that it happens.. I'm debating adding a cam and thinking seriously of just where. Do you only have the single cam inside the cockpit or a second one on the deck?

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Write something...

Attachments

• cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
  • cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Take a pic for me when you have the opportunity please. I thinking of adding a rail to have adjustability to cam location.
I have nothing on the Cabin top...

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Heading out tomorrow. Forecast (http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/massabesic_lake) looks pretty calm and give us a good opportunity to try lifting the centerboard without great challenges. I really need a calm day to put Wifey out there and work with her a bit. In all honesty... I need it as well! We learned a lot last weekend, but it seemed out of necessity (maybe the best teacher).. I'm hoping for a relaxing, "What happens if we do??" without fear of going over kinda day! LOL!

olddawgsrule

Seaman
Really do appreciate this! My cam is further out and inside the cockpit (further back). What's strange is yours is tighter than I expected. Meaning horizontal spread (?) distance is less, and you're further forward.. Hmm.. I also realized my Jib is longer than mast depth. I can say easily my Jib is passing the mast by a foot (really guessing at 18"). So placing a cam on a traveler won't work.. The traveler would have to come back as far as I'm currently set (Kinda defeats the effort) to tighten up.

I did have less issues this weekend with it and may be just learning another part of learning the boat.

Again thank you for the input!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
wonder if your jib is more of a 110% or even larger? I have the cams outside as well, I think for that very purpose, flying a larger jib.

olddawgsrule

Seaman
I'm all of that.. After this past weekend and paying attention to it.. could be a 120..

How far forward is the other placement?
Just curious..
My thought is it for a smaller Jib..

Status
Not open for further replies.