Caught in a storm on a sailboat. Any good steps to take to ride it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bumble

Recruit
I am going to be traveling down the East Coast in late December and am trying to prepare ourselves for the worst. Any sailors out there have a good resource for tips out on the water if you get stuck in rough weather? I've heard of anchor buoys to keep your vessel pointing towards the wind but is that really all you can do and how safe really is that?

Regards,
Bri

Ned L

Commander
Re: Caught in a storm on a sailboat. Any good steps to take to ride it out?

First off, are you going down on "the outside" (in the Atlantic) or "the inside" (the intercoastal waterway)? If you are going on the inside then you will always be in protected waters and never far from shelter. If you are going on the outside, I might suggest you have some very experienced people with you (in which case you won't need advise from here). There are not many inlets off the east coast and so you are pretty much on your own. The N. Atlantic is not fun in late December, and not a place for people who are inexperienced. (It could well be a nice trip if done on the inside).
I believe you are asking about "sea anchors" and not "anchor bouys". If you are asking about this I suspect there are more important things you should be learning about. If you are in a situation where you need a sea anchor you will have bigger problems.

SolingSailor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, ditto to Ned L. If you are asking this question, you are not knowledgeable enough, nor properly prepared for the voyage.
This is no fooling around.

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you haven't crewed for an EXPERIENCED captain in the Atlantic Ocean before, stay the hell out of the Atlantic Ocean! Stay inside and have a nice trip. GH

tommays

Admiral

2010_0131_112310.jpg

2010_0131_111605.jpg

How far north as its gonna be kind of cold in late December :eek:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Seems Captain Bumple is new to this site..and sailing I think.
We moved out 34' October 9 and I was pretty scared when we ran aground staring at 60 degree waves thinking about falling overboard. I can't imagine sailing in December. Pleasure boats should be parked in December if you are a beginner. What's that 50 rule again? 50 degree water, 50 years old, 50 feet before you drown.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's a little late to be giving advice for a sailing voyage that may have occurred 3 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.