so how many iboaters sail?

just wonder because i see some iboaters sail and have sailboats how many of you do? Also iboaters that hate sailboat why do you hate them? Also motor boaters why don't you sail?

freddyray21

Commander
Re: so how many iboaters sail?

I sail more then I motor boat. Not sure why boaters would hate us. I do know a lot of motor boaters don't know the rules, but then a lot of sailors don't either.

the only reason i ask is because i saw last week i was on my neibhors sailboat and there was this 28'-36' boat that was going by in the harbor we were putting the sail down at the mooring and another sailor was on his deck taking his sailcover and the motor boat went like 10 feet away and guned it to make a big wake in the no wake harbor. trying to not the guy off the boat for fun. this isn't a kid either driving. the sailor had some choice words to say.

freddyray21

Commander

there are jerks everywhere. Chances are he would have done the same thing to a guy sitting there fishing.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All inland small lake sailing here. My dad had a couple of off-brand small mono hulls when I was young. Then a couple catamarans. He built a couple of ice boats (thats for frozen water :) ). In '87 he bought a very sweet SuperCat 17. The SC17 was pretty comparable to the Hobie 18 performance-wise and would really fly. FFWD 20 yrs and he wasn't using it, we were busy with our own family and he sold it. My brother and me in 1988:

113258844.jpg

After my dad died 9 years ago, my brother and I decided wanted a boat again. After sailing some Hobies we decided what we REALLY wanted was another SuperCat. We tracked the boat through a couple of sales and found the current owner. It needed a few repairs. He wasn't using it. So we bought the boat back. I really like waterskiing, but for all those days back home in ND when it's too windy? It's time to go sailing! Here it is again, back in action 2008.

264381209.jpg

171893136.jpg

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a dedicated sailor, though I will take rides on friend's motor boats. As long as I don't have to pay for gas.

liz873

Seaman

Have a 21 ft sailboat, project boat that was given to me. Chose sailing because all you need is an inexpensive kicker to get in/out harbor and if wind dies. I cant use it for water skiing but never have to worry about monumental engine repairs either. As far as courtesy on water in waters around New York most obey no wake zones but what I see is once they past the no wake zone their attitudes are hey buddy im gonna throttle up now regardless of the rowboats, runabouts and the family cruising by on small sailboats because i can, and I will.

deanmcneill

Cadet

I sail here in Nova Scotia. Have my own 20ft boat for mostly day sailing. Also crew on a friend's 37 footer which we race every Wednesday night. Also raced it in a few 350+ mi races and we took it on an awesome voyage from Nova Scotia down to Bahama's and back a few years ago. Nothing against motorboats, I just enjoy sailing a whole lot more!

On all my travels I've found 99% of all boaters (jet-skiers right up to cargo ships) to be courteous, thoughtful and aware of the rules-of-the-water. Much more than I can say for most automobile drivers just about anywhere I've been. But there is always that 1% of real idiots that shouldn't be allowed to boat in a sink!

dwco5051

Commander

I have always been a power boater and the only sailboat I ever owned was years ago, a small gaff rigged homemade plywood boat that was only about one step above a windsurfer. That being said I have always enjoyed sailing. I used to remark that owning a sailboat was like marrying a nymphomaniac. You don?t want to do that but it is great if your best friend does. That way you get all the benefits without any of the upkeep. I had several friends that had sailboats and they were always looking for some one to crew and I would go when ever I got the chance. Unfortunately these friends have all either died or got to old to sail any more.

Knowing how to sail makes a person a better boat handler and teaches skills that will carry over to power boating. As far as I know they still maintain a fleet of sailboats at Annapolis for training future naval officers.

dwco5051

Commander

Just looked at the USNA web site and found this;

"Basic Sail Training (BST) trains over 1,250 incoming freshmen midshipmen (or "plebes") during each summer. The training provided involves the basics of sailing, knot tying, and basic seamanship. The BST program's design is two-fold: to provide a safe training environment for introducing the professional seamanship skills required of the Naval Officer and to introduce sailing and the nautical environment. "

AugieGude

Recruit

I have a 80's 17' runabout and we also recently purchased a Catalina 25 and so far sailing surpasses our motor boat because
1) for fun
2) cost of use

SWN y MOR

Cadet

Hi i'm new here.I am restoring a'68 Flying Dutchman,have built a 17'canoe (now fitted with outboard) and our latest boat is a Hartley TS16.Motors are for when the wind stops blowing,or you're too tired(old) to paddle too far up river.Most sailers i've met don't like motors because of the noise and stink.Most power boat owners i've met don't like sailing because they are too slow and require too much work.Horses for courses i say.

doehunter

Cadet

I just like to have fun and my interests tend to change as the years go by.
I have hunted and fished all of my life. I began sailing at about 18-19 years old on an OD11. about 1978 or 79. I still have that boat, and now I have 2 of them. I have owned 6 sailboats, 3 motorboats, and a canoe.
Right now I actively sail a Macgregor 26S. It's a lot slower than my Hobie 18 but I usually stay dry, I don't have to get in the water, I can camp in it, it has a gas grill, a camp stove and a portapotty!
About October, I'll probably go back to fishing mostly, and do that till about March. Then back to the Mac!

Triton II

Commander

I've been a sailor and boater virtually all my life. Started sailing in Sabots when I was five and have since sailed/raced everything from Herons to 16ft skiffs to Sydney-Hobart yachts. My Dad was in the Fleet Air Arm for 31 years so I've had a fairly nautical unbringing combined with aviation. Both my uncles had boats, one a 14ft runabout and the other a 28ft Owens cruiser. About ten years ago I saw the dark side and bought my first motor boat, a 16ft cuddy cabin tinny. I now have a 20ft cuddy cabin tinny but have two ambitions - to own a trawler type bay cruiser and a large trailer sailer for getting back into racing. Hmmm, only snag is money! :)

TII

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

My parents tell me my first boat ride was at six weeks of age. Since then I basically spent every summer in them and still can't get enough of being on the water. We were mostly a motorboating family til my dad - wanting to rekindle his love of sailing from his camp counselor days, bought an 18 foot Sandpiper 565

sandpiper.jpg

It was a wonderfully stable and spacious boat for its size and we had some memorable camping trips in her. It was not, however, speedy by any means and so while my dad and I gamely put in regular Wednesday night appearances at our club races, usually were not back at our mooring til well into the second round of drink of the faster crews..

Unfortunatly my parents separated while I was in high school and she was eventually sold. One thing I definitely don't miss about her was the jack screw keel, which had to be raised and lowered into its housing each time out. Total turns on the heavy crank as I recall were 99 to fully drop or raise it. Ugh!

Fast forward a couple of decades and I realized I missed sailing and wanted to get into it again. I've also got my own son now who I'd like to introduce the sport to. So I trolled the classifieds for something ultra cheap and discovered this 12 foot Philip Rhodes-designed Petrel.

Petrel2-1.jpg

I'm having quite the time relearning how to run one of this things. I love the low key, quiet, cheap alternative to powerboating (which I still adore). Last weekend I spend a great afternoon out in a stiff breeze, boiling back and forth across the lake. Total cost was whatever I used in sunscreen, granola bars, and bottled water.

I agree boaters seem to be divided into either sailors or motorboaters but it looks like there are a few of us that like to do both. I also agree with the previous poster that being a sailor makes you a better all-round boater. There's just that much more to know about your environment and its potential effect on your journey. On my lake I've seen a spectacular ignorance of boating rules between powerboaters. I doubt very much many of them would know to give way to a sailboat.

Of course I got my smug attitude thrown in my face recently when one day a couple of weeks ago I had just set out in the Petrel, got nicely trimmed for a particular tack, looked up and saw a neighbour in his Albacore closing in on me along a similar heading. For the life I me I couldn't recall which one of us had the right of way. It didn't turn out to matter that much as he glided gracefully (and much more quickly past me), saving the need for a course correction. Ah well, some thing never change..:redface:

I ran into a problem like that with who had the right away but i gusse we both had it. There was a 30-36' sailboat and was going down wind will i was on a close reach. so i was sailing and i noticed that we were going to cut paths. so i pulled me sail in a bit to go faster, started hiking ( leaning over the side of the boat to keep the boat flat to go faster) and he let his sail out and man was it a cool thing to do. i passed 10' in front of his bow and dam was that cool. it wasn't like we were going to hit he let his sail out i pulled mine in and it was pretty cool to do that. then i passed and let the sail out and waved to them and the captian gave me a thumbs up for doing it like that with out making him slow down any more. lets face it sailing is slow so by letting you sail out makes you go slower so he was nice to let me pass. he could have easily just pull the sail tighter and cruised right in front of me.

fishrdan

Admiral

Nice story skibrian, thanks for sharing!

I don't sail, but will close the windshield on my 18'er while tolling off an electric, to harness the power of the wind.

Does that count? :confused:

Naw, didn't think so.... :D

freddyray21

Commander

this is our little Siren sailboat Bella.

3826348471_cf13b4030a.jpg

Attachments

• siren 001.jpg
    siren 001.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I sail, but not much. The wakeboat is easier and more fun for the kids. It's also much easier to plan for. I've got an old SeaSpray 15' catamaran that's has spent a lot of it's life on one hull. However, we boat in the mountains and the wind will invariably die when i'm a mile from home or just after I've got the rigging done and am ready to go out. It then picks up at three in the morning when I've left as much set up as I can to get a good start if I want to try again tomorrow.
I've now got to give it a thorough rebuild because my two older ones are just teenagers and they may have the drive to make the effort once they've learned to handle it.
On the other hand, that does seem like a lot of work and maybe I'll get them on windsurfers.