Alumacraft fiberglass sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

guardian64

Cadet
I have an alumacraft fiberglass sailboat, it is 14 ft long and 5ft wide at midpoint. I have searched for information on the internet with little results. If anyone knows anything about this craft any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alumacraft fiberglass sailboat

I have an alumacraft fiberglass sailboat, it is 14 ft long and 5ft wide at midpoint. I have searched for information on the internet with little results. If anyone knows anything about this craft any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Like this one from 1971?

boat_262.jpg

Do you desire a historical account or just need some help getting it set up?

Have you contacted Alumacraft to see if they still have any info?

guardian64

Cadet

My Brother talked to Alumacraft last week, the individual he contacted didn't know what we have.
The one in your photo is exactly like the one I have. Any information you can give regarding the setup and rigging of this boat will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

guardian64

Cadet

My Brother talked to Alumacraft last week, the individual he contacted didn't know what we have.
The one in your photo is exactly like the one I have. Any information you can give regarding the setup and rigging of this boat will be greatly appreciated.
Once I find out how to rig and setup this boat I will need to purchase sail for it.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Once I find out how to rig and setup this boat I will need to purchase sail for it.
I repair boats in that category for fun and to help the youth of my community learn to sail.

I don't have any specific information about the brand and model, it was probably very short lived. Alumacraft, though the name's been in fishing boats since the '40s, has changed hands a couple of times. Today's Alumacraft probably doesn't even know they had a sailboat back then.

All I can say is the '70s and '80s saw a huge boom in small sailboat popularity and every builder from local ma & pa fiberglass shops to big name boat companies came out with something. Must have been the oil crisis impact on powerboating.

The good news is they nearly all rig up in the same manner. You don't need the specific diagrams and instructions to figure it all out.

If you can lay out the pieces you have - mast, boom, rudder, and all - and photograph them along with the boat's cockpit and some wide shots from a couple of steps back. I'll be happy to tell you what I can observe about the way it all goes together.

Just put your pictures in PhotoBucket or on Flickr and point me to your album.

:)

guardian64

Cadet

Saildan;
I will get photos taken today and posted on photo bucket. What i have is the main mast and two boom pieces, The bottom boom is a few inches longer that the top boom. I will get detailed photos of both booms, the main mast, deck area and the interior of the boat.
Thanks again

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Saildan;
I will get photos taken today and posted on photo bucket. What i have is the main mast and two boom pieces, The bottom boom is a few inches longer than the top boom. I will get detailed photos of both booms, the main mast, deck area and the interior of the boat.
Thanks again
Great!

Sounds like a gaff rig or even a lateen like a Sunfish. That'd be very common for the '70s. Every builder wanted to ride the coattails of the Sunfish because it was such a huge seller.

Good for you too if it is a lateen. You can get aftermarket Sunfish sails very reasonably priced. ( http://www.neilprydesails.com/store/sun.htm )

What are the length's of your two spars (boom & gaff)?

While we're at it, what's the mast height?

guardian64

Cadet

The measurements I took were on the top gaff 10 foot, the distance from the bottom boom to high point on mast is roughly 7 foot 6 inches. I have posted photos on photo bucket,,guardian64.....album is titled alumacraft sailboat.
Thanks

guardian64

Cadet

Went and took exact measurements.
Mast is 13 foot 1 inch
Gaff is 10 foot
Boom is 10 foot 4 inches
Thanks again

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went and took exact measurements.
Mast is 13 foot 1 inch
Gaff is 10 foot
Boom is 10 foot 4 inches
Thanks again
Thanks -

I'm not finding anything publicly accessable in PhotoBucket. Lots of Alumacraft photos, but no sailboats.

Could you maybe stick some into a post here using the Insert Image
insertimage.gif
tool?

Much Obliged

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not working for me
I get the Insert Image to work by

a) right clicking on the picture I want - opens a menu box
b) going to the bottom of the menu box and clicking "properties"
c) with the properties showing, I copy the address (URL)
d) paste this URL in the Insert Image box - or just paste the URL in a page and let people click on that,

I'm going to guess you have your PhotoBucket album or maybe each individual photo flagged as "private". Somewhere in the photo or album attributes there must be a toggle that lets them be publicly viewed.

guardian64

Cadet

The wood to the right of tiller was used by previous owner t mount a trolling motor.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found this.

Here's what an AlumaCraft S-14 looks like rigged -

4681009276_14b15947c7_b.jpg

Rolly Tasker made the sails. Email them and see if they still have the pattern. Hang on to your shorts, sails ain't cheap, even for little boats.

4680390327_14be7409be.jpg

guardian64

Cadet

Thank you , it has been a learning experience and I am very appreciative for the help you have given.

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you , it has been a learning experience and I am very appreciative for the help you have given.
Is this enough to give you a handle on things or would you like further assistance?

guardian64

Cadet

I contacted rolly tasker and am waiting for their reply, hopefully I will be able to figure things out once I am able to get a sail for it.
When I get the sails I will post more photos on flikr.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.