good sailing stories.

Kaicarno

Cadet
Re: good sailing stories.

Well, there seems to be enough about sailing stories but here's some more.<br /><br />The Proving Ground <br />by G. Bruce Knecht <br /><br />Fastnet, Force 10: The Deadliest Storm in the History of Modern Sailing, New Edition <br />by John Rousmaniere <br /><br />Godforsaken Sea : The True Story of a Race Through the World's Most Dangerous Waters <br />by DEREK Lundy <br /><br />Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage <br />by Alfred Lansing<br /><br />Close to the Wind <br />by Pete Goss<br /><br />Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea <br />by Steven Callahan<br /><br />I'd also like to reccomend Jack London's Seawolf and The cruise of the Dizzle (I think that was the name)

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

This is great, didn't expect such a big response!<br /><br />I'm reading as fast as I can...

Esper

Recruit

If you get a moment then please feel free to check out www.followtheboat.com.<br /><br />If it's sailing stories you want we got them by the bucket load! Check out the photo gallery too...some pretty cool pictures.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by dougworm:<br /> Make sure you get a copy of "A Speck in the Sea" by Willian H. Longyard This is an EXCELLENT compilation of all the notable crossings and survials in small vessels! And you can find lots more books just by looking at his bibliography! <br /><br />Also I really enjoyed "40,000 miles in a canoe" by John Voss ... the man took a real american indian dugout canoe (a BIG one!), decked it over and added three masts, sails, a keel rudder etc, and proceeded to sail it around the world and then some! "the Tilkim" was her name!<br /><br />Also I as a result of reading "A Speck on the Sea" I discovered Robert Manry and I just started reading "Tinkebelle" about the 13' homemade boat he crossed the Atlantic ocean it!<br /><br />Sonewhere I found a whole list of nautical books ... e-mail me and I'll send it to you as soon as I come accross it. I too just love these tales lately! I bought me a West Wight Potter 15 footer "Sea Mouse" too to try some of my own adventures in!<br /><br />Doug in California sinworm@aol.com<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Curtis66:<br /> Can anyone recomend some good sailings stories.<br />Nonfiction or fiction..

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Doug, I was reeading back thru my replies to find a new book.<br />Did you find that list of book's?

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alexander Kents Bolitho Novels.<br />They are a little hard to find but I thought they were better than the Hornblower saga.<br />also V stuart and his fox novels.<br />all excellent sailing books.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Picked up Dove at the library, just getting started on it.<br /><br />Tried to find "The Incredible Voyage" but no luck.

Edzell

Recruit

Originally posted by dougworm:<br /> Make sure you get a copy of "A Speck in the Sea" by Willian H. Longyard This is an EXCELLENT compilation of all the notable crossings and survials in small vessels! And you can find lots more books just by looking at his bibliography! <br /><br />Also I really enjoyed "40,000 miles in a canoe" by John Voss ... the man took a real american indian dugout canoe (a BIG one!), decked it over and added three masts, sails, a keel rudder etc, and proceeded to sail it around the world and then some! "the Tilkim" was her name!<br /><br />Also I as a result of reading "A Speck on the Sea" I discovered Robert Manry and I just started reading "Tinkebelle" about the 13' homemade boat he crossed the Atlantic ocean it!<br /><br />Sonewhere I found a whole list of nautical books ... e-mail me and I'll send it to you as soon as I come accross it. I too just love these tales lately! I bought me a West Wight Potter 15 footer "Sea Mouse" too to try some of my own adventures in!<br /><br />Doug in California sinworm@aol.com<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Curtis66:<br /> Can anyone recomend some good sailings stories.<br />Nonfiction or fiction..

Edzell

Recruit

TE]Originally posted by dougworm:<br />Also I really enjoyed "40,000 miles in a canoe" by John Voss ... the man took a real american indian dugout canoe (a BIG one!), decked it over and added three masts, sails, a keel rudder etc, and proceeded to sail it around the world and then some! "the Tilkim" was her name!<br /><br />A footnote for anyone visiting Victoria, British Columbia: "Tillicum" (I think That's the spelling) is in the maritime museum there.<br /><br />This IS an amazing thread! thanks, Curtis66, for starting it.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I'm still reading your replies, keep'em coming. <br /><br /> :cool:

Haunted Still

Recruit

Originally posted by Curtis66:<br /> I'm still reading your replies, keep'em coming. <br /><br /> :cool:
I came across this web site (and spent more time than I will confess to) while trying to find a poem about wind and sailing and stuff. Don't know the title or author or first line, in fact, I could not quote a line of it. I remember it (sort of) only because it inspired the name of a sailboat that belonged to an old man, the Wind And If. I only know the poem reads something like, "..if'n there's wind, and if'n..." there's something, (like sea or sun or sky or sail etc,) a sailing trip would be undertaken. There was a boy I knew in grade school --o.k., had a crush on him-- who I ran into during college. We went out a few times but it wasn't going to go down that road. We talked about sailing because I sailed as a child and young adult. He told about a family trip to (possibly) the New England or Nantucket area. An old guy fell in love with my friend's little sister, like a grandaughter. The old guy invited my friend's family out on his sailboat (a big fancy yacht) named the Wind And If. They all had a fabulously memorable time. I have to find that poem. It has haunted me ever since. Can you, will you please help? I would be grateful. Thanks kindly.<br />Signed, Haunted Still

MacHurley22

Recruit

He's already been mentioned in this thread but "damned with faint praise" IMO (sorry flashback) so let us all take a moment to give thanks for the works of Patrick O'Brian.<br /><br />The cliches and superlatives have all been done better by others:<br /><br />"..one of the great authors of the twentieth century, whose novels were often compared by critics to the work of Jane Austen and even Homer. A writer of breathtaking erudition, Mr. O'Brian evoked in complete and dazzling detail an entire world.."<br /><br />"..keen psychological insights, a sharp wit, and fast-paced, heart-stopping action.."<br /><br />"On every page Mr. O'Brian reminds us with subtle artistry of the most important of all historical lessons: that times change but people don't, that the griefs and follies and victories of the men and women who were here before us are in fact the maps of our own lives."<br /><br />"The Aubrey/Maturin series far beyond any episodic chronicle, ebbs and flows with the timeless tide of character and the human heart."<br /><br />Probably you have all read his entire catalogue. I hadn't even heard of him before last season and rejoice in the fact that I am only halfway through the list. I put up this post just in case there are still one or two out there who are as ignorant as I was only last year.<br /><br />I am sure that I fail to understand a significant portion of his wit and erudition but can appreciate enough to be writing this with tears of laughter and joy rolling down my cheeks.<br /><br />The man can even make an account of a cricket match entertaining (The Reverse of the Medal) and this is no small achievement in my book. <br /><br />PS - There's a lot of sailing too, twenty books in the Aubrey-Maturin series IIRC. Now a Major Motion Picture of course.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Esper:<br /> If you get a moment then please feel free to check out www.followtheboat.com.<br /><br />If it's sailing stories you want we got them by the bucket load! Check out the photo gallery too...some pretty cool pictures.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

This link Followtheboat.com will not display ???

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I second Endurance, it is a very amazing true story. There is a film on it too that is good to see.

lorax

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A mile Down by David Vann<br />It's a great true story. You'll feel better about every boating related screw up you've ever made.

lorax

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Shadow Divers, Robert Kurson<br />Another great sea fairing story

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I will see if I can find these.<br /><br />Thank's lorax

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I just realized this thread I started is two years old and is still bringing in reply's.<br /><br />I am reading what I can find of these suggestion's so keep the idea's coming.<br /><br />Thank's to everyone who has contributed!

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I looked at the year wrong this thread is three year's old WOW!