good sailing stories.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice
Re: good sailing stories.

I'm having trouble keeping up with all the suggestions but keep them coming, I've enjoyed reading them all. One that wasn't recomended is Letters from the lost soul by Bob *****in, which I'm reading now and it's pretty good!

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Can't believe his last name was edited out, "Sorry Bob".

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Just read "My Old Man and the Sea" enjoyed it thank's. I like the cruising stories, any more out there?

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tinkerbelle is one of my all time favorites. <br />If you like to read about the days of the square riggers, I highly recommend the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forrester. The A&E movies are awesome too. I watch them several time a year. I really enjoy sea survival stories too. You might read some of those. There is much to be learned from the. Adrift by Steven Callahan is great. Five Against the Sea is good.

Amgine0

Recruit

Oy... Since I just moved, and just found my sailing related books, I can list a bunch for you. Not all are likely to be available.<br /><br />Voyages of the Damn Foole by Tom McGrath<br />The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers<br />Red Sky at Night by Marjorie Petersen (Does anyone have or know where I can find "Stornoway East and West"?)<br />The Curve of Time by M. Wylie Blanchet<br />The Last of the Sailormen by Bob Roberts<br />The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier<br /><br />The Riddle of the Sands is a fiction mystery written before the Great War, and may have led to England's reassessment of its northern defenses in time to confound the Kaiser. The rest are cruising narratives ranging from McGrath's satirical essays about his Townie (not to mention politics, economy, getting old, and other internal monologues), through Petersen's log of Stornoway, a wooden double-ender circumnavigating the Pacific, Blanchet's carefully obscured tales of summers with her children aboard her 1923 25' motor cruiser Caprice along the British Columbia coast in the 1920s and 1930s, Bob Roberts gruff tales as a bargeman skippering some of the last working sail Thames barges during and after WWII, and finally the almost spiritual story by Bernard Moitessier of the first Round the World Race for single handers which, in a way, he both won and forfeited.<br /><br />Hope you enjoy some of them.<br /><br />Amgine

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I keep getting recomendations on Tinkerbelle, I guess I should try it.

Mikeomni1

Cadet

Stornaway east and west link per your request. Link <br /><br />Regards,<br />Mike

Curzon

Cadet

"The Swallows and the Amazons" by Arthur Ransome was the book (and Film) which started it all for me at the tender age of 8 years old

Sail#1150

Recruit

"Voyage" Sterling Hayden<br />"The Mirror Of The Sea" Joseph Conrad<br />"Life And Adventures Of John Nicol" Tim Flannery<br />"Godforsaken Sea" Derek Lundy<br />"The Way Of The Ship" Derek Lundy<br />"Following The Sea" Benjamin Doane<br />"The Master Mariner" Nicholas Monsarrat<br />and yes "Tinkerbelle" by Robert Manry is a must read.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I'm half way thru Tinkerbelle, don't know why I didn't read it sooner? <br />Some more good titles out there, hard to keep up with but keep them coming...

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

Finished "Tinkerbelle" great story. <br />Looking over some of the other suggestions now.

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I almost forgot, "Red Sky in Mourning" was a good one by Tami Oldham Ashcroft C/A Susea McGearhart.

BugEyes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All the works by Tristan Jones, start with "The incredible voyage". If you liked Slocum you will like the books by Tristan Jones.<br />The contents in large verified fact but likely spiced up a little in the details.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Curtiss66: I just looked at this post again and I forgot to mention Dove by Robin Lee Graham. I enjoyed that one so much because I sort of followed the progress of his circumnavigation when I was a kid. He sailed from California when he was only 16 years old. He completed his circumnavigation several years later. I have all of the National Geographic "School Bulletins" from his voyage. Dove is the book he wrote about his adventures. I think you would really enjoy that one too.<br />And I am just starting The Breath of Angels. It has me in its grip in the first chapter.

dougworm

Recruit

Make sure you get a copy of "A Speck in the Sea" by Willian H. Longyard This is an EXCELLENT compilation of all the notable crossings and survials in small vessels! And you can find lots more books just by looking at his bibliography! <br /><br />Also I really enjoyed "40,000 miles in a canoe" by John Voss ... the man took a real american indian dugout canoe (a BIG one!), decked it over and added three masts, sails, a keel rudder etc, and proceeded to sail it around the world and then some! "the Tilkim" was her name!<br /><br />Also I as a result of reading "A Speck on the Sea" I discovered Robert Manry and I just started reading "Tinkebelle" about the 13' homemade boat he crossed the Atlantic ocean it!<br /><br />Sonewhere I found a whole list of nautical books ... e-mail me and I'll send it to you as soon as I come accross it. I too just love these tales lately! I bought me a West Wight Potter 15 footer "Sea Mouse" too to try some of my own adventures in!<br /><br />Doug in California sinworm@aol.com<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Curtis66:<br /> Can anyone recomend some good sailings stories.<br />Nonfiction or fiction..

Triton II

Commander

Lionheart by Jesse Martin, who is the youngest person to ever circumnavigate the globe single-handed. Great read.

MacHurley22

Recruit

Sorry about the UK bias but here's a selection from my "sailing shelves"<br /><br />Erik The Red by Donald Ridler. Clergyman's son builds 26' dory out of scrap and completes an Atlantic circuit.<br /><br />The Last Grain Race by Eric Newby. Middle-class 18yo ships aboard the Moshulu as apprentice to sail in what was to be (1938/39) the last time square-riggers raced in the Southern Ocean.<br /><br />A Voyage For Madmen by Peter Nichols. Story of the Golden Globe, the first non-stop solo race around the world.<br /><br />A World Of My Own by Robin Knox-Johnston. Story of his victory in the Golden Globe, true grit with a stiff upper lip.<br /><br />Desperate Voyage by John Caldwell. Jaw-dropping tale of non-sailor attempting to sail from Panama to Australia to return to his bride after 1945.<br /><br />Once Is Enough by Miles Smeeton. Pitch-poled and dis-masted on their first attempt at Cape Horn, rolled and dis-masted at the second, this book gave me nightmares (a very lumpy anchorage may have had something to do with it!) but the sheer bloody-mindedness that saw this husband and wife team through to make a third attempt... Stiff upper lip to the nth degree.<br /><br />Red Mains'l by Peter Pye. Another post-war husband and wife team - no disasters but a beautiful tale of their Atlantic circuit in a converted 29' fishing boat.<br /><br />That should keep you going for a while.<br /><br />Dave

Curtis66

Seaman Apprentice

I've read "A World of my Own" by Robin Knox- Johnston, thank's for the other suggestions, I'll look them up. Oh! for some easy and reading try "A Salty piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffet.

For a good piece of nonfiction that'll give you a healthy respect for the sea, try K. Adlard Cole's Heavy Weather Sailing. I recommend it especially if you plan on doing any. The photos in it at sea during a hurricane are incredible, and I have been at sea in a hurricane in a sailboat, so my frame of reference is fairly accurate hereabouts. And just about all of Buffett's books are pleasant fodder whilst idling about at anchorages both here and faraway...