Help with Tightening the forestay

Bmacnutt

Recruit
Hi there,
I have a new to me small dinghy, and I’m having some difficulty tightening the forestay- want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. - as I’m fairly new to sailing.
I have tried using and Allan key in the hole of jacket covering, and then a wrench to turn the nuts- I can’t seem to budge it- am I doing this correctly? Thanks for any insight- photo is attached.
happy sailing 😎

Attachments

• 9EEBE697-8E8B-4730-A021-75EFF7188327.jpeg
    9EEBE697-8E8B-4730-A021-75EFF7188327.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 3

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats Bmacnutt

It is difficult to determine from the picture if the turnbuckle is bottomed out . . . Assuming that it is not. The thing to do is back off the nuts so that there is plenty of room for adjustment. Then use the screw driver/allen key to tighten the turnbuckle. Once you have the forestay tension where you want it . . . tighten the nuts back the jacket as they initially were. Make sure they are tight, or the turnbuckle will loosen.

emoney

Commander
Usually you can loosen the nut in the direction you're trying to turn it. The other will, of course, need to be tightened back up flush but yeah, that won't move until those nuts are loose.

southkogs

Staff member
ALSO - I can't tell from your photo; but are you supposed to be locked into the front hole on that stay? It looks like you're linked into an oblong hole in the middle of the stay. If I'm seeing it right, a luff could allow the leading edge of the sail to sag a little. That might help tighten it up too. :noidea: