Propping Right a 45 Ft Sailboat.-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propping Right a 45 Ft Sailboat.-

My cousin just received a brand new out of the french shipyard Beneteau 45 footer. It's equipped with a Yanmar 40 HP saildrive unit, the lower leg and prop is located somewhere middle to aft of the sailboat. Much better than the traditional shaft and prop drive method. Motor specs states max 3000 wot revs, doesn't state a minimum as in outboards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Saildrive.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	10736389

The sailboat weights 5 ton bare bone and 6.5 tons with 6 passengers along water and diesel tanks fully filled. As I like to maximize props for top performance will recommended my cousin to go for a wot spin fully loaded on flat calm, no wind water cond and check achieved rpm to check if delivered prop is doing its homework right or so-so.

Name:	DSCF9171.JPG
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	10736390

Dilemma : prop it right for full weight in order to achieve 3000 max rpm or not. Current prop Is a retractable 3 blade prop with unknown pitch factory installed in France. Know that when tanks become empty or with much less passengers or a combo of both situations will need to throttle less for motor no to over rev.

On its maiden voyage went from Callao (Peru) to Salinas (Ecuador) 1170 Km distance in 3 days with sails and motor revving between 2000 to 2500 rpm with excellent low fuel consumption going down the Humbold Current.

Name:	DSCF9190.JPG
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	10736391

Is there someone with proven sailboat experience that can share his personal experience propping right a large sailboat with varying loads.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

My experience has been that if your using the prop more than the big triangle billowing thing above your head...... your doing it wrong. the purpose of a sail boat is to not use the prop other than to get you in and out of the slip
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Scott,

Seems that sailboats are not your speciality LOL, not mine either but you learn underway when riding on one.

Scenario, you motor the 6.5 ton sailboat out of the slip if counting with one and holly molly there's just a small breeze blowing out there so to move it you must turn motor ON right. You can use any sailboat with motor along sails if wind is unavailable, scarse or wanting a faster displacement speed well over the usual 5-6 knots to around 7-9. Anyway such speeds are very boring ones compared to what an outboard can produce and already used to when going out.

Yanmar recommends to prop it right as will be max loaded in order to run at it max 3K revs on flat calm no wind water cond same as with outboards and throttle less when with less load on board. Need to run it at full hammer down for short time periods in order for the motor to decarbonize itself.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Working...
      X