Buying a used boat (sailboat) out of state , how ?

pgnyc

Seaman
Hello,

so i am looking to buy a used sailboat , 17 feet, (3 years old) out of state.
I never bought any used vehicle.

How this thing works ?
registration of boat , trailer.
insurance.

how do you pay ?

I read the topic, what to inspect when buying a used boat , this sailboat will be like new, i think.

thanks in advance,
Pascal

tpenfield

Staff member
3 year old sailboat . . . should be in nice shape, so inspection won't be too bad.

Buying a sailboat is not much different than buying a powerboat. For a purchase of a boat in a different state, you need to research the boat registration requirements in that state so that you can be sure that the seller has the proper proof of ownership. You would want to see these documents (title, if required by the state, registration, etc). Then you want to check what the requirements are for your state as proof of prior ownership and sale. Usually states that require a title for change of ownership have provisions as acceptable proof when a boat/vehicle is purchased from another state not requiring the same.

NH -> MA is a good example. NH is not a title state for boats, but MA is. So MA accepts the prior NH registration as proof of prior ownership.

Also, since it is a fairly new, but fairly small boat, you would need to understand if there is a loan out on the boat as part of the original purchase.

You want to insure the boat from the moment you pay for it, regardless of its location at that time.

How to pay? I find that money (US Dollars) seems to be what most people want. :D It is a matter of what buyer and seller agree on . . . cash, personal check, bank check, cashier's check, escrow, etc. Usually, the more money involved the more safeguards.

The seller will want to make sure the check or form of payment is valid before surrendering the title. If the boat has a lien from a financial institution , then the release of the title can take a bit longer.

Maybe tell us a bit more about what you are buying and when we can all go out for a sail :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I guess you are in the Big Apple by your username, so what state are buying in?

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Depends on the state your buying form as well as to a lesser degree, the state where you live. Might need titles or just registrations. Some states, (I think) have nothing for trailers under a certain size.

Where are you located? Where are you buying from?

pgnyc

Seaman
I guess you are in the Big Apple by your username, so what state are buying in?

Yes, i am in NYC, the boat is in Pennsylvania .

tpenfield
Thx for the info, and maybe in Cape Cod , (not sure to go this year, ) , we sail a little bit with Pleasant Bay Community Sailing and my kids go to Namequoit sailing association .

Pascal.

southkogs

Staff member
When I was in Michigan, you took the paperwork from the sale of the vehicle - the title with buyer and seller signature on it - to the Secretary of State's office and they were the agency to license and you paid them.

Here in Tennessee, we title cars but not boats. So with a boat, you take a bill of sale or the title to the county clerk's office. They coordinate boat registrations with the TWRA.

Not sure how it works in New York, but I would look at the Department of Motor Vehicles, Secretary of State or County Clerk for answers on what they need to establish ownership for you.

Welcome aboard.

pgnyc

Seaman
updates.

hello, and thx everybody for your info.
so i have the boat and the seller did use a broker (from Florida) , all the deal was made thru email, and last tuesday got the titles ans bills of sales and attorney paper .
so direction to the NY DMV and there they asked me for a picture of trailer vin. got it from the seller by message. say after went to another NY DMV and got the registration for both ( boat and trailer) and they did not ask for the picture ??????

so i had
title for the boat
bill of sale for the boat
mv-82b form for the boat (registration)
DTF-802 form the boat (sale tax)

title for the trailer
bill of sale for the trailer
mv-82 form for the boat (registration)
DTF-802 form the trailer (sale tax)

and attorney paperwork.

i waited 2 hours at the first DMV and did it in 40 minutes at the second.

Pascal

tpenfield

Staff member
:thumb:

Once you are launched , etc. iBoats requires you to post a picture of your 'new' boat :D

southkogs

Staff member
I guess I'd call that a dory style hull. Similar to a boat my grandfather used to own. Should be a nice smooth sailor for you.