Need advice!!

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I'm considering buying a first sailboat, I've been around power boats for years but have almost no sailing experience. I have found a Catalina 22 swing keel in decent condition on a solid but rusty trailer (all surface rust) does have a soft spot on deck. Does come with 7.5 hp outboard and recovered cushions.
And I have found a American Mariner 23' fixed keel, with a nice galvanized dual axle trailer in better condition. A couple hundred more with no motor. I have a super clean older Mercury 4.5 long shaft. Is this big enough?
My main concern is cost of replacing sails, both boats have good sails but it seems to me the Catalina would be easier to find sails both new and used.
Any thoughts? I know the soft deck is rotted and will be an involved repair. Should be able to do from inside to preserve outside appearance...

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo250578.jpeg
    photo250578.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo250579.jpeg
    photo250579.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo250580.jpeg
    photo250580.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250581.jpeg
    photo250581.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo250582.jpeg
    photo250582.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Better condition, hands down.

I'm a Catalina fan, but go for the one in better condition. Check all of the rigging out ... even better if you can sail it once. Look through the checklist HERE, too.

Welcome aboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you Scott, any thoughts on which boat I should pick?

your money, you pick.

I would go for the one in the best shape, condition wins hands down. Im not a blow boater, however I work with a bunch and give most of them a hand once in a while in exchange for beer. one of the guys I work with races his boat on weekends. he uses a 2.5hp kicker for his motivation on his 22' he gets the same speed as his old 6hp (and its a bunch lighter)

a few friends have larger live-aboards, most work on the boats constantly (sanding teak, repairing rot, fixing rigging, etc)

the catalina would be a good boat, however needs a bit of work if you found rot.

Last edited:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
the catalina is a very popular boat, however with a soft spot on deck and a sketchy trailer it is not very appealing. are you planning to trailer sail it or put in a slip? if trailer sailing than the condition of the trailer matters a lot.

The american Mariner is not as well known but sounds like it is in better condition. Trailer sounds much better as well. as far as buying sails etc. you are just starting out in sailing, as long as the sails are not torn to bits it will be a while before you need nice new tight sails. when the time comes you can have sails made for any boat by sail makers.

the 4.5 should be plenty to push a 23 footer. I push my 19 with a trolling motor. you don't have to go fast with them. hull speed is generally 6 knots approx.

you didn't mention price of either boat. we have a catalina 22 here up for grabs in similar condition, they are all but giving it away. 22 is a weird size for many folks, it is a large trailer sailor but a small slip boat. therefore they can be hard to get rid of.

can always negotiate the price of the Mariner down to equal what the Catalina is

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the advice everyone, the Catalina is $1500 and the American is $1700 with no motor or $3000 with a brand new Tohatsu 6hp. I plan to buy a mooring in a nearby harbor and just use trailer twice a season. I think I'm heavily leaning towards the American because of condition. I think I can also negotiate the price down some. I also don't believe the Catalina comes with a storm jib.
I appreciate the checklist to look for on used boats. I have no sailing experience but am eager to learn and I think either boat will be excellent to learn on.

southkogs

Staff member
As an aside ... I wouldn't be over concerned with storm sails. You can reef your set in for the bulk of the situations you would ever be in ... unless you're plannin' on crossing the Atlantic ;)

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will be sailing the coast of Maine, would the Catalina with the swing keel, or the American with the fixed shoal keel be more preferable? All other factors aside?

southkogs

Staff member
I think I would lean toward the shoal keel. Likely, the CG will be better in that kind ballast. BUT ... hull style plays a lot into that, and I don't know the American hull. If you've got mostly good, deep water to sail in than I would lean toward the fixed shoal keel. It's just less hassle.

The only thing that may play against that, is that the swing keel may go deeper into the water and in theory that may help you point higher up into the wind. Again, hull plays a big key in that.

Overall - I think the difference will probably be negligible.

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the info! I'm going to hopefully purchase the American tomorrow. I've already purchased a mooring in the local harbor, so I'm on my way! Lol

southkogs

Staff member
None of this really happened without pictures ... :photo:

Good luck with it.

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ok, here are a few pictures. I got home late last night with the American mariner. It towed great! It took us a long time to instep the mast and secure everything for travel. The boat ramp was one of the worst I've ever seen. If I had had a 2wd truck I would have been stuck big time!!!

Attachments

• photo250856.jpg
    photo250856.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Only one photo showing up ... can't see much of the boat, but the photo is pretty cool :D

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For some reason all the photos I try to upload say exceed file size limit. Any idea how to fix that?

southkogs

Staff member
Some phones are even giving pretty high res images now. You may need to resize them, or reduce the resolution your device is shooting at. You can also link to the images from a hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr. Tutorial HERE.

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Ahh, figured out a way to resize the pics! I emailed them to myself and it gives me the option to resize.

Attachments

• photo250973.jpg
    photo250973.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo250974.jpg
    photo250974.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1
  • photo250975.jpg
    photo250975.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo250975.jpg
    photo250975.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1

dieselram94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, we had a torrential rain last night. I went out mid morning and went inside boat and it leaked water in many places at the rub rail joint. The rub rail is rivited on...I see someone before me has caulked most of rub rail on the bottom, I assume it was leaking while healed over. I'm thinking just get a tube of 5200 and caulk the rail continuously all the way around. The rubber fits very tightly into the aluminum (or stainless) track. I think pulling the rail off might be opening a can of worms for reassembly?