thinking about getting my 1st sailboat

Status
Not open for further replies.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I have owned motorboats for the last 25 years. Lake Michigan is 5 min from home. I've only been on 1 sailboat, 35 years ago. I'll take sailing lessons from the marina and know a few friends that I'm sure would be helpful. Would this boat be too much for a total rookie to handle? I'll only use it on decent days and will trailer it. Thanks in advance for any advice!
https://racine.craigslist.org/boa/5727811051.html

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That is an easy boat to sail. Hopefully, the sails are in good shape and not all blown out.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
With a couple of lessons that would be a simple boat to sail.

Overall not a bad starter sailboat if its in good shape and has decent sails.

Sails could cost more than the boat.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
^^^^ Yep - Check the sails. Having a 6HP kicker on back is a plus.

I have a few friends that used to sail 20 ft. O'Days and enjoyed them.

tpenfield

Staff member
O'Day 20 . . . make sure the keel and rudder are in working order. Pretty easy to handle, given that you have been around boats for a while. Just learn the mechanics of sailing and you will be fine. The wind is free :thumb:

You will want to practice setting up the mast at home before allowing yourself to be YouTube fodder at the launch ramp. Have some help the first few times. Plenty of YouTube videos on mast raising, etc.

I bought an O'Day Mariner 19 for similar money last year. Already refinished the keel and now working on the hull.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was going to tag Ted, however i see he already found this thread

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
My first boat was an O'Day 23. Loved that boat. Easy to sail. This will be too.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Just what I wanted to hear. I'll be off to look it over tomorrow. I had already read Ted's post from last year before I posted this. And I really won't worry about being ramp fodder. I'll make sure I got it down before I go. Thanks guys.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
Great choice for a first sail boat. I just sold my O'Day 19. Time to move up a bit. In reference to sailing Lake Michigan and I'm sure you know this, just beware that she can turn ugly fast. was out last Tues on a 23 ft and enjoying 3 ft waves and decent winds. On lake Mich I sail mostly out of McKinley.

There are a few sailing clubs in Racine and Milwaukee that you can join to receive lessons if you want, plus get in contact with other local sailors that way.

I will say that boat is ok to single but much more fun with at least one crew. One of the reasons I am thinking about going bigger is because I didn't enjoy standing the mast and tuning rigging everytime I wanted to sail.

BTW I'm sure you know this but may forget as you go out. Unlike a motorboat with a sailboat make sure you look up as you are launching it. trees and wires are everywhere. LOL

http://oday.sailboatowners.com/ a site you may find very helpful

if you need crew let me know. I am always looking to ride the wind.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
It'll only be used out of the Racine harbor. I have been out when the lake turned from glass to 8-10' in a matter of minutes, I'm well aware of how it can get. It's time to downsize the fleet from 3 to 2. I have a 20' bow rider, a 16' bassboat And A 16' Ski boat. The 2 16's are on there way out of my yard.. In a few years after I learn the ropes of wind power, I hope to step up in size. I want something I can circle the lake in. And wind power has to be cheaper than gas or diesel for that!

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
LOL I figured you would be well versed in Great Lake Habits LOL

I am in the same boat sort of. eventually wanting to sail across or around the big lake. have started looking into 23-27 footers now. big enough to go out and play a bit. my eventual goal is 35 footer.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
This boat was not quite what I expected. I'll keep my eyes open though, the bug has bitten. The wife already has 2footitis.

southkogs

Staff member
CV16 - if you're willing to make the drive, watch the Nashville and Atlanta markets. Sailboats are still reasonably big here, but they can't get used real hard because the wind just doesn't blow that hard through the hills.

Wait for your pitch. A lot of sailboats get neglected before they get sold.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
I will be patient. Is going 25' going to be too much for a rookie? I'd like to have 4 adults comfortable on it.

southkogs

Staff member
Is going 25' going to be too much for a rookie?
If ya' say "no," it makes it sound easier than it is. If ya' say "yes," you negate the fact that plenty of people have done it before. :rolleyes:

I think a boat (power or sail) over 24' is considerably different than a boat (power or sail) under 24'. There's probably another break up the length scale even further, but I don't know where. All of the elements - size, mass, hull style, etc. - just work different. So, there's that consideration.

It's a sail boat, and not a power boat. Again, just very different type of operation. Plus you're going to trailer it, so you'll likely have a swing keel or shoal keel - and that's even different. Not to mention trailer launching, stepping the mast and rigging the sails every time you wanna' go out. So, now you have two aspects to learn going straight to a 25' - bigger boat and sailing a bigger boat.

BUT - you said you're going to take lessons. I would take them while looking for a boat, not after you get one. You'll learn a lot about the boats, likes and dislikes, cockpit space, potential pitfalls of trailering and the things that will consternate a nice day sailing. Ultimately, I think if you take the sailing lessons first, you should do fine with the 25'.

BTW - just based on something you said earlier: if you're looking at sailing simply for fuel savings, bail out now. The folks who I've run into who've done it for that reason wound up not liking it. Too much work getting the boat out on the water. Sailing is MUCH more involvement with the boat moment by moment. You've got to want that kind of experience to enjoy it. I don't think that's what you're doing, but I thought I'd say it just in case.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
25 ft is not too much for a rookie, but it will be a major PITA as a trailer sailor. you can't pull it around with that mast up in the air and it will not be easy to put up. when you go look at boats and they tell you how easy it is to set up by yourself have them show you. physically show you, by themselves. usually the next statement is "well I have this injury recently or I don't usually do it, my friend/spouse/brother etc does it". I didn't like setting up my 19 by myself and that is not nearly as bad as a 25.

definitely take some lessons. if you don't mind driving join the Milwaukee Sailing Club. they will teach you and let you use their boats for free.(well after dues)

You can easily fit 4 adults on a 19 ft sailboat for trailer sailing as well. what you gain mostly when you go up in size is cabin space and accomodations. instead of a small cabin with a couple benches you will get a stove, porta potty and a berth or two, but if you are trailering it, you won't need those things.

Another point is that a 25 ft boat will not be as "fun" to sail as a smaller one. they get to be lumbering along depending on the boat.

I agree with above if you are doing it strictly for money you may end up disappointed. Sailboats require money like any other toy. along with the engine maint you also have to maintain / repair sails, rigging, tiller or wheel, watch those keel bolts, sheets and halyards etc. thru hulls.......

sailing is very fun and has some challenges to it but if you like speeding around a lake in a motorboat it may not be for you. it can be pretty slow and when the winds die it can suck. we took a guy out last week sailing. when we were done he was telling his girlfriend it was pretty scary. I made the comment that it was funny how scared you could be at 5 MPH. he laughed and said yeah never thought of that. LOL it is not a high speed sport but when a wind gust catches you and heels it over good, you will either find you love the thrill of sailing or you hate being screamed at by your wife to put the boat back flat!!!

me personally I think the best trailer sailer I have sailed was a hunter 21. it has a swing keel so it won't capsize easily, lots of room for friends, easy to set up and man can she sail. it is an awesome ride.

what was it about the 20 you didn't like? condition or size? I will say the size would be ok for big lake sailing but you would have to be careful about winds and waves. that is one benefit to bigger boats they handle the bigger water much better.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
If we go to a 25' it'll probably sit in a slip. I'm not looking to just save on fuel, that's just one of the factors. I am going to take this slow. Going out this weekend with some friends on theirs just to see how it goes.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
ah 25 in a slip would be enjoyable. it is not too much boat for a rookie but it is not a small boat LOL

sailing in general IMO is incredibly fun. but there are some definite learning curves. first challenge for you coming from a power baot background will be not being able to just point the boat and go where you want. Takes time to get used to having to tack a few times to get where you want depending on the wind.

another point is the heeling. you can bring her down fairly "flat" but sailboats like to heel while sailing. many wives do not like it. Many of my friends either sail alone or with "new friends" because their wives will not go on the boat, except for a few select light wind days.

yeah once you get known as someone who is willing/wanting to go out on sailboats you can generally find a ride now and than. gives you time to learn whether you like it and some things about what you are doing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey CV - If the bug bit you, take a look at MacGregor 26, Now Tattoo. They are a cross between sail and power, performing well with air or outboard power.

MacGregor is out of business due to retirement, but ownership was transferred to his daughter/SIL and now called Tattoo Yachts. The MacGregor site still has a ton of info and the Tattoo link.

They do have a simplified one-man mast raising system. Really neat boats.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Problem with MacGregors are they are not a very good sailboat and not a very good motor boat. They perform very poorly in rough weather in fact I would never go out in one in rough weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.