Thinking of getting a sailboat . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpenfield

Staff member
I had a Catalina 22 for about 7 years (1997 - 2004) and sold it to buy my Formula 242 powerboat. There are days when a couple hour sail would be nice, so I have been thinking of getting a smaller sailboat . . . 17-20 foot range. Something that would not be a lot of hassle to use.

A couple of boats have peaked my interest:

O'Day Mariner 19 foot

Lockley Newport 17 foot

There are many of the Mariners in my area on CL, but only a couple of the Lockley's. So, I am thinking about the Mariner since it has a bigger following.

Anyone of the sailing community here have any inputs on either boat? :noidea:

It looks like the Mariners went through several stages of evolution from its inception in 1963. I think I would go for one of the later models (1972+).

Apparently O'Day sold off the production rights for the Mariner to Rebel in the 1980's, and then that was again sold of to Stuart Marine. The boat is still made today.

In my searching, I did come across an S2 6.7 and an S2 6.9 Gran Slam. Those might be too big for casual usage, but maybe some day as an upgrade.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I understand the peacefulness of a sailboat and there are 1000's of them on the st lawrence but only about 1 in 100 actually use their sails I could never see the point in them

tpenfield

Staff member
Not using their sails :eek: . . . that's cheating :D

There are some folks in my harbor that have pretty sizeable sailboats with no motor at all. They bring them into and out of the mooring field and the main dock under sail power alone. I'll probably get a motor just for the ease of getting in and out of the harbor.

tpenfield

Staff member
UPDATE:

I looked at a couple of boats yesterday . . .

This one had some potential, but the trailer was a rust bucket. The seller may not have the title to the boat, so that could be a show stopper.

IMG_6500.jpg

Then I saw this one . . .

Seller has the title, but the boat was in tough shape. The bow eye had been ripped out at one point and not adequately repaired, Also the boat had apparently been dropped on its transom. Some big and very symmetrical cracks on both sides of the stern where it meets the transom. Seller did have the title and the sails were in good shape.

IMG_6529.jpg

There are a few more boats to see, and maybe some more will come on the market.

That's all for now. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Another update:

I saw this boat today (yea, I know, they all look the same)

IMG_6602.jpg

This one was in pretty good shape and the trailer was in good shape (galvanized). I have seen 3 boats so far. This one was in pretty good shape. The gelcoat would need to be restored, but that is the case with all the boats of this vintage.

southkogs

Staff member
I like the look of the third one best. The second looks like she's taken some hull damage ... we had a small O'Day years ago that had some deck damage up at the bow and it caused us some trouble with the forestay on the main.

Never had a boat quite that big ... If you can find a Capri 15, it's worth a look as a day sailer.

tpenfield

Staff member
I like the look of the third one best. The second looks like she's taken some hull damage ... we had a small O'Day years ago that had some deck damage up at the bow and it caused us some trouble with the forestay on the main.

Never had a boat quite that big ... If you can find a Capri 15, it's worth a look as a day sailer.

The 'second' one did have quite a bit of hull damage. Here are a couple pictures of the transom. . . cracks on both sides.

IMG_6568.jpg

IMG_6569.jpg

Looked as though it had been dropped on its stern or some other sort of impact on the transom. The seller is only looking for $600 (without trailer) but still there would be a lot to consider in terms of the repairs to the hull.

The 'third' one is in the best shape of the ones I have seen.

I am pretty well focused on the 19 foot range; for me this would be a small boat, since I had a 22 footer that weighed 3 times what these boats weigh. There are quite a few of the O'Day Mariners on the market. . . and now that Fall is approaching, this is the season for buying.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I've sailed an O'Day 22' in the past with a friend, but I can't recall the model. When you get into (what I would call) the mid sized boats, I get to liking the dory style hulls. Not as fast, but they're pretty stout when the wind starts kicking up.

tpenfield

Staff member
I've sailed an O'Day 22' in the past with a friend, but I can't recall the model. When you get into (what I would call) the mid sized boats, I get to liking the dory style hulls. Not as fast, but they're pretty stout when the wind starts kicking up.

Yes, the O'Day 22 is a bit bigger than my Catalina 22 (which was actually 21' 6"). Those boats are big enough to get you home when the wind and waves kick up. A friend of mine has a J35C, which is a whole other league all together. We took that boat out in Narragansett Bay (Rhode Island) on a hot windy day, and had the rails in the water most of the time.

I may become a sailboat owner tonight (fingers crossed) and should have a weekend full of work going through everything.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick update, I bought the boat (the third one that I looked at). . . Will be bringing it home on Saturday to go through it and do a bit of cleaning and some restoration work.

For those who may follow the O'Day Mariner Fleets or boats . . .

It is a 1976 O'Day Mariner "2 + 2" model, Sail #3224

O'Day built 3771 of these boats from 1963 to 1979 during which time the boats went through 3 stages of evolution. This is one of the later years of production, being of the 3rd generation of design, with various refinements that were made along the way.

This boat previously was sailed in New Hampshire. I'll post some pictures when I get the boat to its new hailing port (Cape Cod)

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Congrats Ted ... I still can't get the Admiral to go for a blow-boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
congrats on the new purchase. your going to need a long shaft small hp kicker. to move you about, however I bet it would do just fine with a trolling motor.

I would paint it somehting other than white. then it wont look like all the others.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I was thinking of a light blue hull and bright white deck/ cockpit. I am considering using awlgrip paints for the job. Also planning to re-finish the keel, which is iron.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I was in Canadian tire last night to pick up brake pads for the truck and somehow meandered to the boat section she stood in front of the cart and aisles trying to stop me from looking

southkogs

Staff member
When I first started talking about getting a sailboat, the Admiral just did this . . . :facepalm:
She's actually got pretty practical, "where would you keep it" concerns on our end. But she also wants no part of a boat she might have to work on ... She's got VIP status on board and intends to keep it that way :D I could probably grab a cheap little wet sailer and get away with it ...

Yes, I was thinking of a light blue hull and bright white deck/ cockpit. I am considering using awlgrip paints for the job. Also planning to re-finish the keel, which is iron.
Maybe do the light blue, and then top and bottom paint with a cream color. Add some rope accents for "rub rail-esque" accents. Make it look WAY different than the stuff around it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

that would look better than all white. remember, no-one sees the keel unless you turtle it.

tpenfield

Staff member
that would look better than all white. remember, no-one sees the keel unless you turtle it.

I know . . . or if I knock the boat over momentarily folks may get a glimpse of it.. I am thinking more for upwind sailing performance. The iron keels tend to get pitted and the salt water makes it even worse. The boat is almost 40 years old, but the keel looks pretty good. I figure if I can grind the rust off and then do an epoxy-based fairing of the keel, it will work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.